Programs That Hire Veterans
Many organizations in the civilian world value your experience, skills, work ethic and training as a service member. You'll find that a number of military-friendly employers are committed to hiring veterans.
There are also some big-time programs online that want to connect you with employers looking for veterans. Here are some top sites to visit to connect with your new job:
This site offers resources from the U.S. Department of Labor for job-seekers and employers who want to hire vets. You'll find:
- Job opportunities by category: agriculture, energy, transportation, homeland security, federal government hiring, and more
- A tool for finding jobs by location
- Your nearest American Job Center
- Help from the Small Business Administration for starting your own business
- Plus one-on-one assistance, career exploration, finding training, skills translator, veteran employment center, resume builder, interest profiler, transition resources and more
The Veterans ReEmployment website sets out to be a one-stop online shop for service members. If you're transitioning out, it has some serious tools to offer:
- Military-to-Civilian Job Search by military job title and/or location
- How to request important papers that you need
- Matching your skills to civilian careers
- Information about going back to school or getting training
- Also financial and unemployment assistance
CareerOneStop is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor. It's a site for the general public with plenty of tools and resources that can be useful for veterans. It partners with the American Job Center network. American Job Centers have a mandate to connect veterans to job openings.
Hiring Our Heroes is a program of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. It's a nationwide program to help transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses find solid employment opportunities.
The program networks with businesses through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and it partners with public, private and nonprofit organizations across the country.
- Check out the Hiring Our Heroes calendar. You'll find upcoming hiring events, job fairs, expos, transition summits and more near you.
- Hiring Our Heroes also has a number of digital resources:
- VirtualJobScout lets you connect online with recruiters and attend virtual job fairs.
- With the Hiring Our Heroes dashboard you can access, customize and manage all your Hiring Our Hero resources.
- Resume Engine that helps you build and post your resume for thousands of employers.
- Fast Track for Heroes is an online listing of jobs by industry, with map of locations and positions by date.
- All*Vet States is another site hosted by the Hiring Our Heroes initiative, that links you to resources, benefits and services for veterans by state.
You've got skills, training and discipline. Employers are looking for you. For more ways you can connect with a great job, check the Employment Resources and Services page.