An Overview of Moving with an Individualized Education Program

When transferring with an individualized education program, the new school is required to provide a free appropriate public education. This includes providing comparable services to those available through the current IEP. While the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act requires that the new school provide services, it does not require that the services at the new location be exactly the same as those provided by the previous school. Comparable services are services that are similar or equivalent to those outlined on the incoming IEP. The flexibility in the phrase "comparable services" allows the school to determine how best to provide a FAPE using the previous IEP as a guide to the needs of the child.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.