Healthy Base Initiative
Obesity and tobacco use among U.S. military health care beneficiaries add over $3 billion per year to the Department of Defense (DoD) budget in health care costs and lost duty days. Failure to meet weight standards is a leading cause of involuntary separation from the military, and obesity in the civilian community may be limiting DoD's ability to recruit qualified personnel. To help combat this problem, military installations should provide environments which encourage good nutrition, active lifestyles, and tobacco-free living. The Office of Military Community and Family Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense is carrying out the Healthy Base Initiative to help meet this need.
- Healthy Base Initiative Fact Sheet
- National Prevention Strategy
- Operation Live Well
- Why HBI? (PDF)
We Hear You
- 5210 Healthy Military Children Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Armed Services YMCA Military Outreach Initiative Extension (PDF)
- Active Living
- Health & Wellness
- Healthy Places
- Real Food for Real People
- Tobacco-Free Living
- Air Force - Mountain Home, Idaho
- Air Force - Yokota, Japan
- Army - Fort Bragg, North Carolina
- Army - Fort George G. Meade, Maryland
- Army - Fort Sill, Oklahoma
- Defense Health Headquarters
- Joint base - Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- Marine Corps - Quantico, Virginia
- Marine Corps - Twentynine Palms, California
- National Guard - Camp Dodge, Iowa
- Navy - New London, Connecticut
- Reserve - March Air Reserve Base, California
- United States Coast Guard - Cape Cod, Massachusetts
As a member of the military, you know a lot about strength, commitment, and protecting others. These are traits you can utilize during the Great American Smokeout on Thursday, November 20, when you go 24-hours without smoking.
The best protection against tobacco addiction and the associated medical conditions is never to start in the first place. Prevention is a key goal in the tobacco-free living focus of the Healthy Base Initiative.
Your experience should count for something. Let the LearningCounts™ pilot program show you how it can count toward your degree.
INSTALLATION PROGRAM DIRECTORY