Military OneSource Eldercare Consultation Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is eligible for Military OneSource elder care consultations?
A: The following individuals are eligible:

  • All active-duty service members
  • National Guard and members of the Reserve component (regardless of activation status)
  • Members of the Coast Guard Reserve activated as part of the Department of the Navy under Title 10 authority
  • Spouses and dependent children who are authorized in Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System
  • A family member who is taking care of the affairs of an eligible service member when the service member is deployed
  • A severely injured service member of one of the services noted above, or a designated family member of a severely injured member who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs, medically retired individuals are eligible until 180 days past their End of Tour of Service, retirement date or discharge date

Q: What is an elder care consultation?
A: The consultation includes a one-on-one session with a work-life consultant along with research and referrals for any services or programs specific to a senior citizen.
Q: What types of information can an elder care consultant provide for a client?

A: Elder care consultants provide members with information about in-home care, transportation and insurance.
Q: How long do you usually have to wait for a consultation?
A: Typically, consultations occur at the time the client contacts Military OneSource.
Q: When are you eligible for retirement or considered a senior citizen?
A: No matter what your full retirement age is, you may start receiving benefits as early as age 62 or as late as age 70.
Q: What type of housing options are available for a senior citizen who is unable to live independently?
A: Depending on the level of care required, our elder care consultants can offer a search for assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities or continuing care retirement communities.
Q: What is the Veteran's Aid and Attendance benefit?
A: The Veteran's Aid and Attendance benefit may assist with the cost of a variety of health care services, including the cost of home care or care within a facility. The veteran must have served at least one day during a time of war and must be already collecting a compensation or pension. The benefit is also available to the surviving spouse of an eligible veteran. Considered to be a "cash" benefit, and the amount received is added to the compensation or pension amount the individual is currently collecting. To apply, individuals should be directed to their regional Veterans Affairs office.
Q: What are Medicaid waiver programs?
A: Medicaid waiver programs are available to both senior citizens and adults with disabilities. A Medicaid waiver may provide payment assistance for in-home care or care within a facility. Each state has varying names for its Medicaid waiver programs, however, many waivers are referred to as home and community-based services or waivers. Coverage and eligibility requirements vary from state to state.

Services provided may also include:

  • Home modifications
  • Durable medical equipment
  • Caregiver support programs
  • Transportation services
  • Respite care
  • Personal emergency response systems
  • Home-delivered meals
  • Case management

Waiver services are typically available for:

  • Elders
  • Adults with disabilities
  • Individuals with mental or developmental disabilities
  • Individuals who have suffered a traumatic brain injury



Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.