Moving – Resources
If you have your new orders, you also have access to many resources to carry out your relocation. From planning travel expenses to learning about your new community, Military OneSource provides tools and services for a successful move.
Plan My Move
Plan My Move is a Department of Defense relocation tool that connects you with moving resources to help ensure a smooth move. You can:
- Access information about your entitlements and benefits.
- Learn about points of contacts, checklists, planning tools and information on education and employment.
- Compare the cost of living and other statistics between communities.
- Use the home values tool to research real estate prices and trends.
- MilitaryINSTALLATIONS provides contact information for programs and services, maps and directions, links to comprehensive location overviews and community points of interest for military installations worldwide.
Your installation’s transportation office can help you explore your different moving options and start making arrangements.
The government office that handles your relocation varies by service branch:
- The Department of Defense: Joint Personal Property Shipping Office
- Air Force: Traffic Management Office
- Army: Installation Transportation Office
- Navy and Marine Corps: Personal Property Shipping Office
If you’re moving overseas, visit Military OneSource OCONUS Moves.
Move.mil is the Department of Defense’s global website for managing your move.
- Log on to learn about your moving allowances, schedule your household goods shipment and unaccompanied baggage, track your shipment, and file claims, if necessary.
- The Weight Allowance Table details weight allowances by grade and dependent status.
- The Weight Estimator assists in estimating the total weight of your shipments so that you are not stuck with a penalty fee if you go over the limit.
- Contact the housing office on your installation to begin the process of finding a place to live in your new location and exploring your housing options.
- If you’re living in government quarters now, notify the housing office of your projected move date.
Relocation Assistance Program
- Relocation assistance program professionals provide support to service members and their families including planning assistance, counseling, referrals and education on how to maximize the benefits of a move.
- These professionals can also help answer questions about housing, transportation, household goods, education, employment and children’s adjustments.
- HOMES.mil is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases.
- It provides contact information with your current or prospective housing office.
- You can also list your own rental properties.
It’s Your Move guide
- It’s Your Move guide helps you understand your allowances and responsibilities involving the shipment and or storage of your household goods and unaccompanied baggage.
- Your installation’s finance office can help you plan for these expenses and determine what relocation benefits you are eligible for.
Military and Family Support Center
- Contact the Military and Family Support Center on your military installation to learn about relocation assistance services -- including individual move planning, workshops and briefings – as well as military family support programs.
Defense Travel Management Office
- Visit the Defense Travel Management Office for current allowance tables, per diem rates and tools to help you plan your move.
Military OneSource Spouse Relocation and Transition Specialty Consultation
- Military OneSource offers relocation and transition specialty consultations to help spouses during military moves.
- A consultant can give spouses guidance on creating an individualized action plan, identify resources, and share information on housing, child care, education, employment and more.
Military Kids Connect
- Military Kids Connect is an online community specifically designed for military children ages 6-17 years old.
- It provides access to age-appropriate resources to support children dealing with the unique psychological challenges of military life, including frequent moves.
Language Interpretation Services
- Military OneSource provides 24-hour simultaneous language interpretations by phone in more than 150 languages.
Spouse Education and Career Opportunities
- Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, or SECO, offers support and resources for military spouses looking for employment or educational options at your new location.
Visit Military OneSource or call 800-342-9647 for answers to your questions and relocation resources. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options. We’re here 24/7 to help you master your next move.