Tools for Service Providers

Moving Allowances for Department of Defense Employees

There are a number of travel and transportation benefits that may be applicable to Department of Defense civilian employees moving from one permanent duty station to another at the direction of their employing agency. These benefits may include the following:

  • Employee and dependent transportation
  • Employee and dependent per diem
  • Transportation of household goods including storage in transit
  • Non-temporary storage of household goods
  • Miscellaneous expense allowance
  • Transportation and per diem for a house-hunting trip
  • Temporary quarters subsistence expense
  • Assistance with selling and buying a residence and lease termination

In addition, several special situations affect DoD civilian employees who are assigned to a permanent duty station outside the continental United States. In all cases, the agency that employs the civilian must determine which relocation allowances will be paid and make this information known at the time of the advertisement or notification. Civilian employees will be required to sign and comply with the terms of a service agreement to obtain the authorized allowances.

You can find comprehensive information about allowances on the Defense Travel Management Office website


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.