Set Screen Reader On Set Screen Reader Off
Need Help

Translation and Interpretation Services for Permanent Change of Station Moves

Moving can be stressful enough, and when you add a language barrier to the event, it can cause you and your family even more anxiety. Whether you are a military spouse moving overseas or a foreign-born spouse moving to the United States, you may need the help of the translation and interpretation services offered by Military OneSource.

Military OneSource telephone interpretation service can provide real-time interpretation services for over 170 languages. Military OneSource document translation services can translate documents in over 170 languages as well. The average turn-around-time for document translation is 2.5 days.  The most translated documents are birth certificates, college transcripts, marriage documents and divorce documents.

Document Translation Services

When you move overseas, there may be opportunities for you and your family to live on the economy and for you to be employed in the community. In the process of getting your family settled, you may need the assistance of a translator to interpret qualifying documents including the following:

  • Leases
  • Service agreements related to utilities
  • Employment contracts
  • Employment-related benefits

As a foreign-born military spouse, you may have legal documents from your country that need to be translated into English when you arrive in the United States. Qualifying documents could include the following:

  • Marriage licenses
  • Adoption paperwork
  • Birth certificates
  • IDs and passports
  • School transcripts/diplomas

Military OneSource translators will certify, notarize and include a certificate of authenticity for documents under 20 pages in length. If your document is fewer than 5,000 words, you can expect to receive your translation within two to three business days; however, if your document is more than that length, translators will require more time to process your request. There are some documents that do not qualify for translation — medical documents, documents exceeding 20 pages in length, flyers and brochures advertising installation events or family support programs. Military OneSource can assist you with locating resources that will translate non-qualifying documents at an appropriate cost.

If you need assistance with translating documents, call a Military OneSource consultant at 800-342-9647.  From outside the United States or Canada, call 800-342-9647 or call collect 703-253-7599. Be sure to have the document to be translated with you when you call.

Language Interpretation Services

As a foreign-born military spouse moving to the United States, you not only have to cope with the transition to a new home in a new country, but you may also have to deal with being unable to speak and understand English. Not to worry  Military OneSource has language interpretation services by phone to ensure that language will not be a barrier to you and your family by making every effort to provide interpretation for all languages.

Military OneSource counselors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you with finding services that you may need to settle into your new community.  For example, you may want to talk to a counselor about employment and family services, or you may need answers to your questions about transitioning to life in a new country.  Whatever your needs may be, just remember that Military OneSource can provide you with valuable language interpretation services. If your needs for interpretation services do not meet the MOS requirements, they will look for community and government resources that can help you.  For information about language interpretation services, visit the Military OneSource website or call 800-342-9647.

Having translation and language interpretation services when you need them will certainly help in the PCS transition to your overseas installation or to your new home in the United States.




Stay up to date on all things related to Service and Family Members.
Subscribe to the Service and Family Member RSS feed