To allow our counselors to communicate with military family members who do not speak English, Military OneSource provides simultaneous language interpretation services. This service, which is provided by phone, ensures that language will not be a barrier to family members seeking and receiving Military OneSource services. We make every effort to honor all language preferences. Language interpretation services are available to our counselors 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Eligibility to use interpretation services
Military OneSource interpretation services are intended to facilitate access of Military OneSource services by individual military family members who do not speak English. For example, a non-English-speaking military spouse may use the interpretation service to talk with a Military OneSource counselor about how to find child care programs in the community, or to discuss concerns about a spouse who has returned from combat.
Only family members of service members who are eligible to use the Military OneSource program may use Military OneSource translation services. Eligible service members include:
- Active-duty service members in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force
- National Guard and reserve members, regardless of activation status (including members of the individual ready reserve)
- Separating service members, for up to six months following their separation from the military services
Use of interpretation services
Military OneSource language interpretation is not a stand-alone service and is used only in connection with other Military OneSource services in the context of a Military OneSource case. For example, language interpretation services may not be used in the following cases:
- Situations outside the context of a Military OneSource case - Requests to use the interpretation service for reasons outside the context of a Military OneSource case, or by third-party advocates for reasons outside a Military OneSource case, are outside the scope of this service. For example, a family readiness group leader may not use the interpretation service to contact a non-English speaking spouse.
- Medical - Interpretation services may not be used to discuss or deliver information related to medical issues.
Situations that do not meet eligibility requirements may be considered for interpretation support if there are other available free resources. Military OneSource will explore community and government resources to assist you. Your Military OneSource counselor will explain how we can help with requests that do not qualify for Military OneSource interpretation services.
If a military family member or military family support staff member needs interpretation services that are outside the scope of this service, counselors will offer alternate resources to assist with this need.