Permanent change of station moves are an inevitable part of life for a military family. The more information families have about their new location, the more successful the move will be and the smoother the transition to their new installation and community. This is where your role as a sponsor will assist families in making their PSC moves quick, efficient and, hopefully, much less stressful.
Because you will be the family's link to their new unit, installation and community, it is important for you to take a proactive approach to your duties as a sponsor. Here are a few specific ways you can help make a family's transition to their new community a positive experience.
- Contact the family by letter or email to introduce yourself. In this introduction, ask about any specific needs the family might have or questions they might want answers to before their arrival. If you need an example of sponsorship correspondence, visit eSponsorship and Training Tools.
- Communicate with the family often providing information concerning any needs or requirements they may have or to answer their questions.
- Offer to make temporary lodging arrangements for the family, updating them on any changes that may occur.
- Introduce the service member to the key personnel in the unit. Help with in-processing and check-in procedures.
- Provide the family with information about housing, schools, medical facilities, child care facilities and other resources.
- Offer to assist the service member with house hunting, vehicle registration or transportation needs.
- Once the family arrives, give them a tour of the installation showing them the commissary, the exchange, fitness centers, chapels and the military and family support center.
If you have questions about your duties as a sponsor, contact the relocation personnel at your installation military and family support center. If you need materials and packets of information, they can help you with that, too. You can find their contact information on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
Your sponsorship can smooth the way for a family's positive PCS experience.