Imagine having access to books and databases anytime and anywhere just with a click on your computer keyboard or mobile device. Always having a book to read for pleasure, the opportunity to research information on just about any topic and the ability to experience the library from the comfort of your home are a few of the many reasons to use Morale, Welfare and Recreation library resources The MWR library system has brought together a multitude of valuable and easy-to-use online resources for children, youth and teens.
Resources for Children
- TumbleBooks for Beginning Readers is a library of animated, talking, picture books, which help younger children learn to read, build their vocabulary and just have fun. They provide enrichment to children who are reading independently and to those who need skill building as well. The option for Spanish or French is available, making this online resource perfect for ESL or bilingual children.
- TumbleBook Cloud Junior is a collection of e-books and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos and audio books designed specifically for elementary and early middle school-age children. This collection allows readers to adjust the text size, line width and spacing, font style and color, and the background color on all e-books. Readers can also highlight portions of a book and add their own notes.
- Gale Kid's Infobits is a database for geography, current events, the arts, science, sports, government, history and more. Children from kindergarten through grade five often have difficulty with research skills. Infobits guides children from the first screen with lively, icon-rich topic trees to help them narrow their search to find exactly what they're looking for. Not only does this simplify the research process, it also helps children visualize the research process.
Resources for Youth and Teens
- Tutor.com for military children gives access to online tutoring and homework help from live, expert tutors in more than 16 subjects. Students in military families who are moving frequently or dealing with a deployed parent can rely on the tutors from this valuable resource for helping with tonight's homework or catching up on missed concepts and lessons, all at no cost to families.
- TumbleBook Cloud for Teens is a collection of e-books and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos and audio books designed for preteens and teens. This collection allows readers to adjust the text size, line width and spacing, font style and color, and the background color on all e-books. Readers can also highlight portions of a book and add their own notes, which can come in handy if they are studying the book for an academic class.
- Student Resource in Context is a content portal based on national curriculum standards for middle and high school students and contains information on all core subjects from science to literature to history. This resource helps students develop both research and critical-thinking skills by integrating content for reference publications, periodicals and newspapers, primary sources, multimedia sources, video and audio content.
- National Geographic database provides search and browse opportunities in all issues of the magazine, covering its first 107 years.
- Peterson's resources include information for searching for the "best" post-secondary schools by matching needs with the institutions that offers what's most important to the user, including academics, affordability and campus environment. The guide also includes practice tests, online courses and e-books for high school/college preparation success, including PSAT, SAT, ACT, GED and ASVAB.
Department of Defense MWR online library resources are available at no cost to service members and their families — a particularly helpful benefit for Guard and reserve members and their families who may not have access to installation libraries. Some libraries may require you to register and create an online account, but the resources are still offered at no cost. Visit Military OneSource or your local installation library to learn about these valuable reading and research resources for children, youth and teens.