Know Your Installation's Relocation Support Offices

Your moving experience begins when you receive your permanent change of station orders. When that time comes, keep these resources in mind so you know what to expect, who to contact and what kinds of relocation assistance are available.

Relocation assistance office

Your military and family support center should be the first stop when you are considering a move or when you actually receive orders. The goal of relocation assistance is to connect you with the right tools and resources at the right time so that you can execute an efficient and cost-effective move within the military system.

Your installation military and family support center can help you with the following:

  • Determining your PCS allowances
  • Connecting with your new installation's military and family support center
  • Creating and customizing a moving calendar with Plan My Move
  • Connecting with important installation agencies
  • Creating a customized booklet of resources from MilitaryINSTALLATIONS
  • Accessing a loan closet (for borrowing basic, essential household goods while yours are still in transit)
  • Understanding out-processing requirements
  • Obtaining a sponsor

Permanent change of station allowances

There are various allowances associated with most moves within the continental United States and outside the continental United States. Check with the finance office on your installation to determine the exact amount of your allowances. For additional information, you can visit the Defense Travel Management Office website, the official source for up-to-date changes to benefits and allowances.

Housing office

If you're trying to decide whether to live on the installation or off, your housing office can help you weigh your options. The right choice depends on a number of complex factors, such as your family situation, personal preferences, economic resources and availability of housing options on the installation and in the civilian community.

Your installation housing office can help you with the following:

  • Determining your housing allowances
  • Determining availability of government housing
  • Understanding your housing privatization options
  • Finding housing in the local community
  • Arranging for lodging

Transportation office

Your transportation office can help you coordinate your move and will explain PCS move allowances in detail. The website is the DoD's worldwide site for managing your move, to include understanding your allowances, scheduling and tracking your shipment and, if necessary, filing claims.

Your transportation office can help you with the following:

  • Using
  • Scheduling your government move
  • Scheduling your unaccompanied baggage
  • Finding resources for making a personal move
  • Providing information about household goods allowances
  • Assisting you with shipping a pet
  • Providing information and assistance on shipping your personally owned vehicle  


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.