The Basics of Moving Your Personal Belongings

Your transportation office can assist you in coordinating your move and will provide information on options for moving your personal belongings. Keep in mind that is the Department of Defense's worldwide website for managing your move, to include understanding your allowances, scheduling your household goods shipment and unaccompanied baggage, and tracking your shipment and filing claims, if necessary. You are authorized transportation of your personal items as described below:

  • Household goods - These include items associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to a service member and family members on the effective date of the service member's permanent change of station or temporary duty orders that may legally be accepted and transported by an authorized commercial transporter. Your household goods will be moved via a government carrier or personally procured transportation mover. Keep in mind that household goods do not include the following items:
    • Personal baggage when carried free on an airplane, bus or train
    • Cars, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles
    • Live animals including birds, fish and reptiles
    • Items for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by the service member and family
    • Privately owned live ammunition
  • Unaccompanied baggage - If you are moving overseas, your personal property shipment allowance will probably include a surface shipment and a unaccompanied baggage shipment that will be sent by air so it is available to you when you arrive at your destination. The unaccompanied baggage should include items that you'll need immediately upon arrival such as clothes, linens, baby needs and medical equipment.
  • Personally owned vehicle - One POV belonging to you or your family member may be shipped overseas at government expense. It must, however, be for you or your family member's personal use only. If you want to make your own arrangements and ship an additional POV, consult your transportation office for any restrictions that may apply.
  • Personally Procured Transportation Moves (formerly known as do-it-yourself or DITY moves) - You can move your household goods yourself and collect an incentive payment of up to 95 percent of the government's estimate to move them. You can do a personally procured move when you have PCS orders, a temporary duty assignment, face separation or retirement or assignment to, from or between government quarters.  


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.