Today's job market is tough and as a military spouse, your unemployment rate is far higher than the national average. In fact, military spouse unemployment is a staggering 26 percent. Frequent relocations, long deployments and a lack of portable careers are some of the more common reasons for military spouse unemployment. The good news is that you have a vast number of employment resources available including your local installation's employment readiness specialist.
- Employment readiness specialists are available at most installations to assist you with many different employment-related issues and are able to provide the following services, free of charge:
- Career exploration opportunities to help military spouses understand how their skills, interests and goals align with career possibilities.
- Education and training to help military spouses identify academic, licensing or credentialing requirements and access sources of financial assistance for such requirements.
- Employment readiness assistance to improve self-marketing skills such as résumé writing and interview techniques.
- Career connections that promote the hiring of military spouses through the Military Spouse Employment Partnership, other organizations, local job fairs, online career networks, installation job fairs and federal appointment authorities.
- Referral to other services supporting well-being such as health and fitness, family life education and personal financial management services.
In addition to the broader topics listed above, employment readiness specialists are able to individually help military spouses with specific topics. These topics include, but are not limited to, the following
- Resume writing
- Interviewing skills
- Federal employment
- Job search strategies and support
- Dressing for success
- Job fairs
- Career assessment
- Skill assessment
- Skill building classes
- Career counseling/coaching
- One-on-one support
- Understanding the local job market
- Workshops/classes/small group instruction
- Job searches and social media etiquette
- Online job portals (such as the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Career Portal)
- Job referrals
- Information and referral
- Community partnerships
Each service has its own employment readiness program. The names may vary from one service to the next, but they all share the common goal of assisting military spouses in finding meaningful employment. As a military spouse, you are welcome in any employment readiness office or military and family support center, regardless of your spouse's service affiliation.
- Army - Employment Readiness Program
- Marine Corps - Family Member Employment Assistance Program
- Navy - Family Employment Readiness Program
- Air Force - Employment Assistance Program
Your installation employment readiness specialist can provide you the tools, resources and personalized services you need for a successful job search. Take advantage of the services your installation provides to help you succeed in today's job market.
Find your local installation employment readiness specialist by location or installation on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS. Let them help you find your next job or start your new career today!