Transition Resources for Service Members

A successful transition from active service to civilian life is a complex challenge that requires detailed planning and careful consideration of many factors. Although many service members can benefit from assistance in managing this transition, most begin the process unaware of the many quality resources available to them. Transition Assistance Program service providers offer transitioning service members and families a wealth of information and resources designed to make their move to the civilian sector less stressful.

Military OneSource

Military OneSource provides information and resources to help balance work and family life. Consultants are available around the clock, every day, by phone, online or email. Available transition materials include checklists, articles and tips on your transition plan, separating from the military and transition services.

Military OneSource can customize research to meet the service member's particular needs and can also help identify local employment resources, search locally for employment agencies that specialize in personal career interests, find local newspapers with employment advertisements and provide lists of websites that describe local job opportunities. Military OneSource is a particularly valuable resource for families in geographically remote areas that are not located near an installation.

Service providers and service members can contact Military OneSource by phone, 24 hours a day, seven days a week (call stateside at 800-342-9647) or online at the Military OneSource website which also lists specific dialing information for other countries.

Additional transition-related services

In addition to Military OneSource, installation transition assistance service providers may refer service members to the following organizations and related resources in the local community:

  • Local one-stop career centers - These centers can provide further assistance in developing job search skills, locating employment opportunities and identifying unemployment benefits and education and training options, including financial aid and other public assistance programs.
  • Veterans Administration offices - Local Veterans Administration offices can provide information on benefits covered in the Veterans Administration Benefits Briefing.
  • County Department of Social Services - Local county Department of Social Services can often provide information on public assistance programs.
  • Private welfare to work agencies - Local private welfare to work agencies also provide information on assistance programs specially available through these agencies.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.