Military OneSource Education Consultation Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is eligible for a Military OneSource Education consultation?
A: The following individuals are eligible:

  • All active-duty service members
  • National Guard and members of the Reserve Component (regardless of activation status)
  • Members of the Coast Guard Reserve activated as part of the Department of the Navy under Title 10 authority
  • Spouses and dependent children who are authorized in Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System
  • A family member who is taking care of the affairs of an eligible service member when the service member is deployed
  • A severely injured service member of one of the services noted above, or a designated family member of a severely injured member who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs, medically retired individuals are eligible until 180 days past their End of Tour of Service, retirement date or discharge date

Q: What is an education consultation?
A: The consultation includes a one-on-one session with an education consultant along with research and referrals for any services or programs specific to the client's educational needs.
Q: What types of information can an education consultant provide for a client?
A: Education consultants provide members with:

  • Referrals to in-home tutors, as well as tutoring centers in the their area
  • Public and private school information
  • College profiles based upon desired degree and specific request
  • Financial assistance, scholarship and grant program referrals based on:

o Education
o Field of interest
o Demographic information
o Military background
o Military-specific scholarship resources for spouses that do not qualify for My Career Advancement Account Scholarship

Q: How long do you usually have to wait for a consultation?
A: Typically, consultations occur at the time the client contacts Military OneSource.
Q: Can military spouses find out how to transfer their credits?
A: Education consultants can provide them with contact information and resources for military friendly schools and institutions that will allow them to transfer previous college credits.
Q: Can members get help having their credentials converted and diplomas translated to meet state and or country specific requirements?
A: Education consultants can provide support for this process.
Q: How can a client find out more information about universities they may be interested in applying to?
A: The education consultant can provide the client with college profiles that will provide the client with information on the specific college and their credentials
Q: Are service members able to get financial assistance for certifications they need to go further in their career?
A: Education consultants can provide them with contact information and resources for providers that may be able to provide the client with financial assistance for their certifications.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.