Department of Defense-Morale, Welfare and Recreation Summer Reading Program
Morale, Welfare and Recreation develops all kinds of enrichment programs to support force readiness and military community. One such program is Reading by Design, the 2017 Department of Defense-MWR Summer Reading Program, which provides an opportunity to set your child up for success, achievement and fun.
Encourage summer reading
The mission of the Department of Defense-MWR summer reading program, in partnership with the Illinois Library Association iREAD Reading Programs, is to provide the resources and experiences to bridge the summer gap, while inspiring literacy and life-long learning. The benefits of summer reading are clear:
- National research finds that students who participate in the library summer reading programs scored higher on reading achievements tests at the beginning of the next school year than those who did not participate.
- Avid readers of all backgrounds are higher achievers than students who seldom read.
- Skillful, critical and prolific reading is one of the most important personal habits that leads to a successful academic career and happy, productive life.
Plus, reading is fun for the whole family. Reading can lead to priceless conversations, spur a child’s imagination and inspire young readers to explore creativity and design new worlds.
Sign up for the Summer Reading Program: contact your local Morale, Welfare and Recreation installation library.
Explore your installation library
The Department of Defense and MWR oversees the management of 207 libraries on military installations, which provide much more than aisles of books. Check your installation library to see what events are offered. These could include activities, graphics, crafts, reading lists, incentives, films, and more for children, teens and parents. Discover what’s in your installation library.
Tap into the MWR Digital Library
If you’re a member of the National Guard or reserve or don’t have access to a local installation library, you can still participate in the Summer Reading Program virtually. Learn more.
What’s more, the MWR Digital Library can help you support your summer reading goals, giving service members and families access to eBooks, audio books, digital magazines, genealogy resources, digital newspapers, journals, tutoring services and more. The digital library service is a particularly helpful benefit for those military families who may not have access to installation libraries.
The digital library service is available through your service branch:
- Army digital library (A library account is required to access digital resources.)
- Marine Corps digital library
- Navy digital library
- Air Force digital library
Visit the following links to learn more about the MWR Digital Library and other library and reading resources: