Elder Care Consultations and Benefits
Caring for an aging loved one is much easier with the right support. Service members and their families can take advantage of special assistance – elderly care consultations from Military OneSource. These free, confidential consultations are conducted by phone and can help you connect with the services and support you need to take care of the senior in your military family.
What should I expect from an elder care consultation?
Elder care services consultations include a one-on-one session with a master’s level-trained professional. They can help with information on resources and services such as:
- Information about in-home care, transportation and insurance.
- Help finding assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities or continuing care retirement communities.
- Research and referrals for senior citizen programs and services such as the Department of Veterans Affairs Aid and Attendance benefit and Medicaid waiver programs. See below for more.
Can I apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit for veterans?
Military OneSource elder care consultants can help you understand this benefit and how it can help you or your loved one. The Veterans Affairs Aid and Attendance benefit:
- Helps with the costs of a variety of health care services including home care or care within a facility.
- Is paid to veterans who served at least one day during a time of war and who are already collecting a compensation or pension.
- Is also paid to surviving spouses of eligible veterans.
Ask an elder care consultant about the benefit. If you’re eligible, you can apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit at your regional Veterans Affairs office.
About Medicaid waiver programs
Medicaid waiver programs are available to senior citizens and adults with disabilities. Each state has a different name for its Medicaid waiver program, but many programs are generally known as home- and community-based services, or waivers.
Coverage and eligibility requirements vary from state to state. Elder care consultants can help you understand the benefits and eligibility where you live and can guide you through the application process.
Services and support provided through Medicaid waiver programs include:
- Home modifications
- Durable medical equipment
- Caregiver support programs
- Transportation services
- Respite care
- Personal emergency response systems
- Home-delivered meals
- Case management
- In-home care or care within a facility
Program services are typically available for:
- Senior citizens
- Adults with physical, mental or developmental disabilities
- Persons with traumatic brain injuries.
There are many resources available to help you care for your aging loved one and Military OneSource is a good place to start. Call 800-342-9647 to schedule your free elder care assistance consultation to help you figure out the best plan and benefits available for you and your family. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.