Make Your Final Military Move a Success
No matter the length of your military career, you’ve probably moved at least once. It’s always an adventure. For most service members leaving the military, either at retirement or at their end of active service separation, a final move at government expense is authorized. Make your final move the easiest one yet with these tips.
- Make sure you are aware of your benefits. You may be entitled to a number of benefits that include storage of household goods, travel allowances and a per diem. Travel allowances and other final move benefits vary by service branch, so check with your installation's Military and Family Support Center, transportation office, Move.mil or the U.S. Transportation Command website.
- Take to the web. Once you have orders, visit Move.mil and set up your final move online. Also check out Plan My Move. This fully customizable relocation tool can help you organize your move by creating more than 90 individual moving tasks. You can also use online resources, such as MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, to find statistics about your new community, including school performance, crime reports, salaries, cost of living and more.
- Talk to professionals. Visit your local Military and Family Support Center or transportation office and speak to a professional who can help you manage your move. Each move is different, and regulations vary by service branch and location.
- Start planning early. As soon as you know where you're going, schedule the move or storage of your household goods. You may have up to a year to complete your transition, however, scheduling your move early will help ensure you move on the date you choose.
- Get organized. Create a "command center" for the details of your move. This is a central location that houses everything related to your move, such as to-do lists, contact information and important documents, such as military orders and school records.
- Prioritize. Rather than trying to do it all at once, prioritize your to-do list and use your resources, such as MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, Move.mil and Plan My Move.
Remember, you don't have to do this all by yourself. There are resources and services to help you rule your final relocation. Reach out through Military OneSource or your installation's Military and Family Support Center.