SECO and MSEP 101: Made for Military Spouse Employment
If you're a military spouse looking for employment, meet two programs made exclusively for you—to get you career-ready and help you find a great job.
The Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program, or SECO, from the Department of Defense was created specifically for military spouses—to connect you with tools including education and training help, career counseling and exploration, and much more.
If you're looking for a job, check out the Military Spouse Employment Partnership, or MSEP. It's a part of SECO, and connects employers with educated, trained and qualified people like you. Access job listings and featured hot jobs, hiring events, partners and more. See below for more.
The SECO program: What's in it for you?
Make connections. Stay informed. Get hired. That's what the SECO program is all about. At the MySECO website, you'll find resources and tools related to:
- Exploring careers and your own skills
- Education, training and licensing options
- Getting yourself workplace ready
- How to network and find jobs
- Scholarship opportunities
What's waiting for you at MySECO? Highlights include:
- Comprehensive counseling services at no cost to all eligible military spouses. Certified career counselors offer specialty consultations six days a week by calling 800-342-9647.
- Monthly online career counselor discussions: Certified career counselors will answer your employment questions. Network with other military spouses, and learn tips from the experts to help you succeed. Topics can cover everything from scholarships to professional etiquette to turning perceived obstacles into strengths.
- Your own MySECO profile: Manage your job search process. Build an individual career plan, with the help of the MyICP Wizard, based on your goals, occupational interests, challenges and growth opportunities. Take a career assessment.
- Explore the labor market: Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook to learn about job descriptions, work environments, educational and licensing requirements and salaries.
- Resume toolkit: What do employers want to see? MySECO gives you samples and an easy-to-use template from the information in your profile.
- Military Spouse eMentor program: Link up with an online community and receive personalized career guidance, advice, support from more experienced military spouses, career mentors and military spouse-friendly employers.
- SECO Scholarship Finder: There's no need to scour the Internet for scholarships. Find scholarships and grants on a site you can trust. You can also use the database to search for opportunities for your college-bound kids.
Some features on MySECO are available only to authenticated users, so take time to register today and begin your journey to learn, advance and succeed.
The Military Spouse Employment Partnership
The Military Spouse Employment Partnership, or MSEP, has 300+ employer partners who now have hired over 108,000 military spouses. The MSEP Job Search, found on the MySECO website, typically has more than 170,000 active jobs listed around the world. Highlights include:
- Active jobs: The Job Search feature connects you with open jobs by job title, state, city, industry, partner and more. You can even search for telework jobs and work-from-home opportunities.
- Hot jobs: View jobs that immediately need to be filled and read a quick summary of the position on the home page.
- MSEP Candidate Search: Allow MSEP Partners looking for employees to directly search for you by opting in the MSEP Candidate Search from your account settings.
Here for you: certified career counselors
As a military spouse, you're serving our country too. It's important that you have access to the resources you need for successful job-hunting. We hope you'll take advantage of them, especially connecting with our certified career counselors.
Spouses of active-duty service members in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and members of the Reserve Component (regardless of activation status) are eligible for career counseling services.
A counselor can help you at any stage of your career—from looking for the right school to connecting with potential employers. Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.