For Spouses – Resources
As a military spouse, you have access to a number of resources that will help you achieve your education and career goals, whether it be finishing an undergraduate degree, pursuing a training certificate or landing a new job. Learn about the tools and programs that can assist you in pursuing your degree and succeeding at work.
Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, SECO, program
SECO offers military spouses comprehensive education and career support, including career counselors who can help with:
- Career Exploration: identifying your skills, interests and aptitudes, and selecting an interesting and rewarding career.
- Education, Training, and Licensure: acquiring the right education, technical training, license or credential for your career goals.
- Employment Readiness: resources that can help you brush up on current trends, write a resume, network and hone your interviewing skills.
- Career Connections: opening the door to opportunities and connections through Military Spouse Employment Partnership, USAJOBS.gov, CareerOneStop and more.
You can contact a SECO career counselor online or by calling 800-342-9647. Click here for overseas calling options. You can also locate your Employment Assistance Program office through your installation's Military and Family Support Center.
Among the useful features on the MySECO website, built exclusively for military spouses, are these:
- Manage My Individual Career Plan: Build a MyICP, or individual career plan, based on your goals, occupational interests, challenges and growth opportunities.
- Research Occupations Tool: Find the latest government statistics on wages and employment trends in your area, research careers that pique your interest, and identify the skills and experience you need to land your dream job.
- LinkedIn Profile Import: Transfer your LinkedIn profile information to your MySECO profile.
- Resume Builder: Use a simple template to create your chronological resume from the information in your MySECO profile.
- College Scorecard: Find resources to help in your college search.
- SECO Scholarship Finder: Use a database to identify scholarships and grants you are eligible for.
Military OneSource education consultations
Military OneSource education consultations give you the chance to have your questions answered by a professional and receive referrals to services that meet your needs. They can provide guidance on financial aid, scholarships, tutoring and other college information. Consultants can:
- Contact information for military-friendly schools and institutions that allow you to transfer previous college credits
- Referrals to in-home tutors and tutoring centers in your area
- Help getting your credentials converted and diplomas translated to meet state or country specific requirements
- Profiles on specific colleges and their credentials
- Contact information to help you find tuition assistance through the MyCAA Scholarship program
Installation employment readiness programs
Employment readiness specialists are available at most installations to assist you at no cost with issues related to education and employment, such as:
- Career exploration: matching your skills, interests and goals with education programs and career possibilities
- Education, training and licensing: figuring out what academic, licensing and credentials are needed for your profession and identifying possible financial aid
- Employment readiness: improving your self-marketing skills like resume writing and interviewing
- Career connections: identifying career connections that promote the hiring of military spouses such as installation job fairs, online career networks and the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Career Portal
The Military Spouse Employment Partnership
The Military Spouse Employment Partnership is an initiative of the Department of Defense's Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program that aims to help military spouses find jobs. The Career Portal includes more than 270 partners or military-friendly employers. Visit the Career Portal to look for your dream job or review some of the other helpful information on the site, like:
- Career readiness advice
- Resume templates
- Cover letter templates
- Videos and news
Military Spouse eMentor Community
- The Military Spouse eMentor Community is an online community that connects military spouses with career mentors for guidance and support.
- There are also representatives of military spouse-friendly firms that serve as educational and career mentors.
- An initiative of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership, the program provides helpful interactions between experienced military spouses and those needing support and direction.