Taxes – Benefits
Military OneSource provides service members and their families with easy access to tax experts and financial counselors who know the tax code and how it applies to members of the military. With MilTax, you’ll get confidential tax consultations and filing software — all at no cost.
MilTax tax consultations
Through MilTax, Military OneSource provides free access to tax experts who know the military so you can make the best decisions about your tax situation. Tax assistance includes:
- Alerting you to tax requirements and deductions related to military life.
- Identifying important tax regulations that apply to service members.
- Answering your questions so you can confidently complete tax forms.
- Giving you access to tax experts for any tax-related questions you have while preparing your tax returns.
- Connecting you to MilTax’s free and secure tax preparation and filing software, as well as financial experts and other resources.
If you have any personal tax-related questions, call 800-342-9647 to speak with a Military OneSource tax consultant. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.
MilTax tax preparation and filing services
MilTax’s free, tax preparation and filing software walks you through a series of questions to help you complete your tax return. This self-paced tax software allows you to:
- Complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax forms.
- Check on your electronic filing status.
- Rest easy knowing the tax software vendor is by your side if you get audited.
- Get 100 percent accurate calculations or the tax software vendor will reimburse you up to $10,000. Terms and conditions apply.
This online software product is easy to use, and free technical assistance is available if you need it. The system protects and safeguards the security and confidentiality of your personal information by using industry-recognized security safeguards.
For technical assistance, such as login issues, using the software, printing returns, etc., call 855-897-8639 and follow the prompts.
Earned Income Tax Credit
Understand whether you can obtain an Earned Income Tax Credit to put more money in your pocket. These are federal income tax credits for low- and moderate- income working individuals and families.
- The credit can generate a refund if you do not have any taxes to pay.
- Service members and families may have an easier time qualifying for the credit because some forms of military income — such as pay earned during service in a combat zone or basic allowances for housing — are non-taxable and aren’t included as part of your total income.
To find out more about the credit or tax help for military members and veterans, visit the IRS website.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- You can meet with a military tax consultant for face-to-face assistance via the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program at no cost — for tax advice and preparation, return filing and other tax assistance.
- This program from the IRS offers free tax preparation and e-filing at sites both on and off base. It also has sites to help our military overseas.
Find a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance location near you.
After MilTax consultants help you get a tax refund, you can get a free financial counseling session with Military OneSource to figure out the best way to apply that refund to long-term savings goals.
Meanwhile, to take advantage of MilTax and other potential tax benefits, call 800-342-9647 today. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.