Your Leave and Earnings Statement
Your monthly Leave and Earnings Statement, or LES, is one of the most important financial documents you have for mastering your money and achieving your financial goals. Use it to budget your monthly expenses and plan for a purchase. Here's how to decipher the code.
First, what is the Leave and Earnings Statement exactly?
It's your monthly report of earnings, deductions and leave balance. Your statement covers:
- Monthly base pay
- Available leave, or vacation days earned
- Additional entitlements
- Special-duty pay
Where can I access my statement?
- From your Department of Defense computer using a Common Access Card
- Electronically at myPay. Use a login and password.
What should I look at on a regular basis?
Stay on top of your information — especially income and deductions. Mistakes can happen. Don't get caught with a notice of "no pay due." Scan these items every month and make sure they're correct:
Box 11 – Deductions including Medicare and Social Security.
Box 12 – Allotments. What are they, who's receiving them, when will they be paid in full?
Box 19 – The amount of money you receive. Is the amount accurate based on your pay grade?
Box 28 – How much leave do you have available?
Box 76 – Any impending changes to your pay or notices from your command?
Anything else I should note?
- Be aware of pay scales. Check the pay tables for base pay and other allowances.
- Mistakes happen. Regardless of who made the error, a “no pay due” could be the result. Watch for overpayments, too.
- Save even a little money every month. Visit MilitarySaves.org.
- Find an error? myPay Support can tell you who to contact.
- Stay current on your pay. Understand when special pay — like deployment pay, hazardous duty pay and other special duty pay — is supposed to begin and when it should end.
- Anything look out of place? Visit your finance office or administrative unit. A potential mistake could be costly. Or visit the support page of myPay.
- A financial plan at no cost to you. Contact a Military OneSource financial counselor for your personal financial plan. Call 800-342-9647 or connect via Live Chat 24/7/365. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.
Find a pdf for the LES for your branch: http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers.html