Military life events like deployments and permanent change of station moves can strain a relationship. But smaller issues left unaddressed can add up to big problems, too. As one Military and Family Life Counselor put it, a relationship is like a car. Both need regular maintenance to run smoothly.
Couples counseling can help you and your partner stay steady through life’s challenges, big and small. In the videos below, three MFLCs provide a snapshot of relationship counseling.
Streaming YouTube is currently blocked from DOD networks. To visit the videos directly, go to:
- Relationship Help is Just Around the Corner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT0bvApDzIk
- Helping a Relationship with Macaroni Salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_aKRGYDMY
- Do You Need a Relationship Tuneup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1lhvCK5yA
- Your Relationship: Paint me a Picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hkZsmy1P4
Non-medical relationship counseling
The Military and Family Life Counseling Program and Military OneSource offer free and confidential couples counseling worldwide. MFLC and Military OneSource counselors are licensed, professionally trained and understand military life and the challenges that couples face. At many installations, MFLCs meet with couples in comfortable settings. Sessions are available by video as well. And all sessions are confidential except in suspected family maltreatment, harm to self or others and illegal activity.
More relationship resources
For more insights into how couples counseling can strengthen your relationship, check out these Facebook Live events.
- Revealing Common Relationship Challenges
- Relationship Counseling: When to Reach Out, How to Get Ready
- Relationship Counseling: Is It What You Think It Is?
Find even more resources for relationship support on the Re the We webpage on Military OneSource.
Connect with an MFLC or Military OneSource relationship counselor
Reach out to your installation’s Military and Family Support Center to get started with a Military and Family Life counselor. Military OneSource also offers free, confidential non-medical counseling for couples, as well as other options, such as Building Healthy Relationships specialty consultations. Call 800-342-9647 to connect with a Military OneSource consultant or to learn more. OCONUS? View international calling options.