Special Needs Consultations
Special needs consultants through Military OneSource can answer your questions and concerns about the care and education of your child or adult family member with special needs.
Consultants are licensed professionals with master's degrees and extensive experience in the disability field. They’re also trained in military programs. When you have your call, you can expect your consultant to:
- Listen to what your family needs
- Complete a needs assessment
- Determine and evaluate what resources your family already has or has tried
- Guide your family toward the help you need.
EFMP Resources, Option and Consultations
- EFMP has enhanced support for families with special needs with the Resources, Options and Consultations, or ROC. EFMP ROC provides ready, one-source access to specialized resources, options and customized consultations for military families with special needs. Call or live chat any time to schedule a specialty consultation by phone or video.
- EFMP connects you with consultants who have subject matter expertise in education, the military health care system, TRICARE coverage, state and federal programs and more.
EFMP ROC provides extra support through three-way calls with health care and other experts.
How can special needs consultants help?
Your consultant can help connect you with information, resources, services and more, including:
- Information about specialized doctors, medical-equipment resources and medical benefits
- Early intervention and special education
- Education Directory for Children With Special Needs, which helps military families make informed assignment decisions and easier transitions
- Options for when your child graduates from high school
- The Exceptional Family Member Program: A Program for Families with Special Needs
- Support for adults with special needs, including information on insurance, Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare and Medicaid
- Research on grants, support groups, in-home care and help during deployments
- Recreational referrals to specialized summer camps and other extracurricular activities
- Referrals to legal and financial resources for families with special needs, such as guidance on creating a special needs trust
- Caregiver wellness referrals for support groups, and stress management and counseling resources
- Respite care resources through TRICARE or community programs, and through each service branch
Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 to schedule a free and confidential consultation. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options. You'll talk with a real person, not a computer, without going through a long phone menu. Appointments are available seven days a week for your family's convenience.
Access the resources and consultations available through EFMP ROC. Maximize your support and thrive as a family with special needs.