Take Your Career to the Next Level with the Virtual Military Spouse Symposium
Advancing a career as a military spouse involves more than writing a winning resume and learning job search tactics. It also requires establishing a balance of work and home life, building a career that can move with you and securing a network that can support you in your role as guardian of country and family.
The Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities team will host the 2018 Virtual Military Spouse Symposium May 21-24, 2018. The four-day virtual symposium is designed to provide you with up-to-date and relevant information related to career development, entrepreneurship, personal branding, military family well-being, employer connections and more.
Tracks for this year’s symposium
The 2018 Virtual Military Spouse Symposium takes place May 21-24, 2018. The event offers six program tracks:
- Build YOUR Brand: defining your image, leveraging LinkedIn and creating a resume that tells your story.
- Be YOUR Own Boss: an entrepreneur’s toolbox, financing your business and stories of success.
- Fill YOUR Job Toolbox: tools and resources for succeeding as a remote worker, using SECO and MSEP to your advantage and tips to ace your next interview.
- YOUR Family Matters: family wellness, building your relationship and financial tips.
- YOUR Career Options: career coaching and expert guidance in the fields of health care, education and information technology.
- Plan YOUR Path: tips for a successful job search, making the right choice on schools and programs, and finding federal employment.
There will also be a live Facebook event at conclusion of each day that will provide a recap of the sessions. Session presentations and recorded webinars will be available for download after the event.
An event for everyone
The symposium offers something for every military spouse – the first-time job-seeker, stay-at-home spouses preparing to re-enter the workforce and experienced professionals.
In a Facebook Live keynote presentation, Shawn Martinbrough will share his journey to success as a critically acclaimed illustrator working with Marvel and DC Comics and as the creator of the AMC television series, “The Walking Dead.” He will also highlight bringing change to his field, maintaining a long-distance relationship with his wife, and balancing life and career.
Helping military spouses advance in their careers year after year
In 2017, SECO hosted the first Virtual Military Spouse Symposium to help military spouses establish and thrive in their careers. Download last year’s session presentations and recorded webinars.
Connecting with SECO to make the most of your MilLife
Follow SECO social channels (Facebook and Twitter) for more information on the symposium and for career and education guidance. During the event, you can follow along via the event #MilSpouseLive on Twitter.