To help meet the growing and diverse needs of military parents, the Department of Defense is proud to offer an expanded child care service for members and their families. Through Military OneSource, military families now have free access to a national database of more than a million caregivers so they can find hourly, flexible and on-demand child care.
Background for expanded hourly child care service
Child care is a workforce issue that directly impacts the readiness and retention of the total force. Lack of child care options has been connected to challenges for spouse employment and increased stress. Some evidence suggests it also impacts retention decisions.
The Department of Defense offers more options to support the need for hourly child care
As part of its ongoing commitment to help military families thrive, The Department of Defense is introducing a new way for military families to find child care for hourly, flexible and on-demand needs.
By expanding child care options, the Department of Defense helps:
- Support the growing and diverse needs of military families
- Increase the number of military families who receive support
- Ensure force readiness and lethality
Benefits of the expanded hourly child care service
The nationally recognized online subscription service is:
- Easy to access
- Fee-free through Military OneSource for anyone eligible for Military OneSource services
(visit MilitaryOneSource.mil to learn more)
- Convenient and flexible
- Access a database of more than a million care providers
- Search at their convenience for care that meets their own needs and criteria
- Find potential care providers
- Check references
- Review background checks
- Interview, hire and pay providers on their terms
How can parents access the expanded hourly child care service?
The new caregiver search service is available 24/7/365 through Military OneSource. Parents can visit the Expanded Hourly Child Care Options page and click “Log in to access.” If they already have a Military OneSource account, they can log in. If not, they will need to create one. From there, they will be directed to Military OneSource Member Connect, where they will receive a unique member code and a link to the child care service site. Parents can then create their login and begin searching for child care. In the future, they can return directly to the child care service’s homepage to access care and search for providers.
Expanded hourly child care service complements existing programs
This online service is available in addition to existing child care options such as:
- Finding full-time, on-installation care through MilitaryChildCare.com
- Receiving child care fee assistance for off-installation care through Child Care Aware of America
- Checking with their local installation child development center about child care options, or speaking with a Military OneSource consultant who can provide options based on specific child care needs (Consultants are available 24/7/365 by calling 800-342-9647. OCONUS dialing options and live chat are also available.)
For more information about military child care programs, parents can visit the Military OneSource Military Child Care Programs page