Military parents have busy lives as they juggle careers, children, house demands, meal planning and carpools, along with the added disruption of PCS and deployment. Military OneSource understands your life is complicated and is here to help. We do the homework to consolidate the best and latest parenting resources, information and advice so that you can spend your downtime with your family, not searching for answers to your needs. Your Military Family Readiness System, through the Military OneSource website, has some of the best parenting resources available to you.
New baby? Child with special needs? Bored teenager? There are resources for these situations and many others. Check out the top resources for busy parents on the Military OneSource website.
Resources for everyday parenting:
- New Parent Support Program — New and expecting parents can build a network of support with the New Parent Support Program. Manage those first few years with access to trained staff who can answer parenting questions, provide home visits or even set you up with supervised playgroups and parenting classes.
- Safe sleep environments for your infant — Learn how to teach your child good sleeping habits by setting a bedtime routine and making your infant’s sleeping environment safe.
- Exceptional Family Member Program — Don’t go it alone. If you have a child with special needs, check out the Exceptional Family Member Program page on Military OneSource. Read a collection of articles with specific assistance and resources for military family members with special needs.
- Military child care programs — Searching for child care that’s high quality and affordable? This article explains how to locate quality, affordable child care in your community, both on and off the installation.
- Military OneSource expanded hourly child care options — Service members and families now have free access to a national database of more than a million caregivers. Find hourly, flexible and on-demand child care that’s right for your needs.
- Department of Defense child and youth programs — Explore a wide range of Department of Defense child and youth programs which can help your child make friends, stay active and develop new skills.
- Military OneSource Parenting and Children page — Visit this page to find great information on adoption, parenting skills and child development stages, as well as tips for dealing with grief and loss, divorce, bullies, routines and discipline.
- Thrive online parenting-education program — Questions about parenting? We all have them. That’s why the Department of Defense partnered with the Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness at Penn State to develop a free online parenting-education program. Find out how Thrive can help you raise healthy, resilient children from birth to 18.
- Morale, Welfare and Recreation — Need some fresh and fun ideas for family activities or your next family trip? Connect with your MWR program. From fitness and sports to tickets and travel, MWR has something for everyone. Visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS to locate your local MWR and get active and have fun with your family.
- Best Kept Secrets: Joint Services Campgrounds and Facilities — Looking to get away? Morale, Welfare and Recreation joint services campgrounds and facilities across the United States offer service members and their families a variety of accommodations and amenities at great rates without sacrificing luxury or location. Don’t delay – start planning your next family adventure now.
Resources for challenging times:
- Military OneSource Plan My Deployment page — Find the information and support you and your family need before, during and after deployment. Military OneSource is there to help you prepare your children for deployment as well as provide support for your children during deployment.
- Military OneSource Plan My Move page — From the initial discussions with your family about a pending move to coordinating schools at your new installation, we can help make your move a smooth one. Plan My Move allows you to enter personalized information about your family to create a customized moving checklist. Keep all your tasks in one convenient location with Plan My Move.
- Military Crisis Line — If you or someone you know is in crisis, contact the Military Crisis Line at 800-273-8255, then press 1, or access online chat by texting 838255. Put your military community’s resources to work for you and your family. You aren’t in this alone.
Whatever your situation or parenting stage you’re facing, let Military OneSource help you connect to the parenting support you need. Call 800-342-9647 or set up a live chat today. OCONUS/international? View calling options.