A tax preparer works with customers.

Making Tax Filing Simple

T-A-X-E-S. It’s that time of the year again. The good news is that members of the military community have access to Military OneSource MilTax benefits to help take the hassle out of tax time. MilTax services are always 100% free.

Service members, eligible family members and survivors have access to the only tax preparation and e-filing software provided by the Department of Defense, designed exclusively for the military community. The free tax filing software also comes with a guarantee – 100% accuracy by the software provider. With MilTax, you also have 24/7 access to consultants trained in tax considerations for the military. MilTax consultants can help you understand how tax laws affect you and your family. Use these special resources to help you get an early start on filing your tax return and increase your chances of getting a nice tax refund. With MilTax, there are no hidden surprises.

Free MilTax Software

MilTax’s tax preparation and e-filing software is available mid-January to mid-October. Easy to use and guaranteed 100% accurate.

Get ahead of — and a handle on — your taxes

Whether you use MilTax or do it yourself, here are some steps to make tax filing simple.

  • Get an early start. Identify one place — a folder, shoebox or computer file, for example — to put all your tax documents, so you have everything when you need to file.
  • Gather the documents and items you’ll need for tax preparation. This includes:
    • Social Security number(s) and date(s) of birth for you, your spouse and other eligible family members
    • All W-2 forms, from all employers, for you and your spouse
    • Form 1099 for independent contractors
    • Child care, education and adoption costs documentation
    • Investment income forms
    • Alimony information
    • Social Security benefits information
    • Miscellaneous income forms
    • Form 1098-E for student loan interest
    • Form 1098 for home mortgage interest
    • Charitable donations receipts
    • Medical and dental expense bills
    • Real estate tax documents
    • Receipts for any deductible expenses
  • Make a list of questions for a MilTax Consultant or other tax adviser. Questions may include: Can I write off certain expenses? Can I get an extension? What happens if I’m serving in a combat zone? What should I do if our family moved this year?
  • Discover special tax benefits enjoyed by service members. This ranges from extra pay for those serving in combat zones and other tax perks to special benefits for military members serving outside the United States. Many civilian accountants are unaware of deductions and allowances specific to service members and their families. MilTax consultants specialize in optimizing these benefits and tax deductions — and the free preparation and e-filing software is tailored to military life. Connect with Military OneSource 24/7 to schedule a free appointment with a MilTax consultant or visit the Internal Revenue Service to find out more about these benefits.
  • Get face-to-face help. In addition to the tax services and support offered through MilTax, you can visit a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance office near you or your installation’s Legal Assistance office. Find a VITA location near you.
  • Be aware of tax scams. The Internal Revenue Service posts about the most common tax scams, including shady tax preparers or phishing, on its website. Or check with your state’s attorney general’s office.
  • Understand important steps to take if you are deployed.

What to know about filing tax extensions

Filing taxes after the official deadline is common, but there are important things to understand. The easiest way to get an extension: simply file Form 4868, Extension of Time to File, before the tax deadline. Keep in mind: if you owe taxes, you’ll be charged interest from the date the payment is due. You may also incur penalties. If you are unsure about how to file an extension, or simply want guidance, a MilTax consultant can walk you through the appropriate steps.

Automatic extensions are available for service members living outside the United States and those serving in combat zones. Get tips on filing taxes as a deployed service member.

Call Ahead. Get started on your taxes now by connecting with a MilTax consultant for military-specific information regarding your tax questions — for free. Call 800-342-9647 to schedule a consultation today. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.