- Military Life Cycle
- Family & Relationships
- Moving & Housing
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- Health & Wellness
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Service Providers & Leaders
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
Call the Military Crisis Line at 800-273-8255 and press 1, or text 838255.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Military OneSource MilTax – Benefits
Military OneSource provides service members and their families with easy access to a suite of tax services, including easy-to-use tax preparation and e-filing software designed to address military-specific situations, and information and resources on a variety of tax-related topics. And it’s all free.
MilTax assistance includes providing answers to any questions about your economic impact payment or coronavirus disease 2019 tax implications, such as if you are a military spouse and experienced job or wage loss due to COVID-19. With MilTax, there are no hidden surprises.
MilTax consultants have extensive knowledge of the tax benefits for military members, families and survivors, and can help you get all the tax credits and deductions you qualify for. MilTax consultants are specially trained to understand all kinds of military tax situations. Assistance includes:
- Alerting you to tax requirements and deductions related to military life
- Identifying important tax regulations that apply to service members
- Answering your questions so you can confidently complete federal and state tax forms
- Addressing any tax-related questions you have while preparing your federal and state tax returns
- Connecting you to MilTax software for secure online preparation and free tax filing.
MilTax software is available mid-January through mid-October. Get virtual support anywhere, anytime. Call 800-342-9647, 24/7 to schedule an appointment to speak with a MilTax consultant. OCONUS/International? View calling options.
MilTax tax preparation and filing services
MilTax free preparation and e-filing software is made to be convenient for the military community. It was developed with the realities of military life in mind — scenarios that civilians rarely encounter — including deployments, combat pay, multiple moves and multi-state filing. This self-paced tax software allows you to:
- Complete and electronically file your federal return and up to three state tax forms.
- Check on your electronic filing status.
- Rest easy knowing that a tax software provider is by your side if you get audited.
- Get 100% accurate calculations, or the tax software provider will reimburse you up to $10,000. Terms and conditions apply.
MilTax e-filing software is easy to use, and free technical assistance is available if you need it. The system protects and safeguards the security and confidentiality of your personal information by using industry-recognized safeguards.
For technical assistance, such as login issues, using the software, printing returns, etc., call 855-897-8639 and follow the prompts.
Earned income tax credit
Understand whether you can obtain an Earned Income Tax Credit to put more money in your pocket. These are federal income tax credits for low- and moderate- income working individuals and families. Be aware that:
- The credit can generate a refund if you do not have any taxes to pay.
- Service members and families may have an easier time qualifying for the credit because some forms of military income — such as pay earned during service in a combat zone or basic allowances for housing — are non-taxable and aren’t included as part of your total income.
To find out more about the credit or tax help for military members and veterans, visit the IRS website.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- You can meet with a military tax consultant for face-to-face assistance via the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program at no cost – for tax advice and preparation, return filing and other tax assistance.
- This IRS program offers free tax preparation and e-filing at sites on and off base. It also has sites overseas to help military members and their families.
Find a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance location near you.
Should MilTax consultants help you get a tax refund, schedule a free financial counseling session with Military OneSource to figure out the best way to apply that refund to long-term savings goals.
According to the IRS, filers received on average $2,577 in direct deposit tax refunds in 2019. So if you are expecting to get a refund this year, file early and replenish your savings.
And you don’t have to wait for your refund in the mail. Through Military OneSource MilTax, you can sign up to get your refund sent straight to your bank account through direct deposit.