My Military
OneSource App
Service member meets with a volunteer

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program

Military members, including retirees, are eligible to receive free tax consultation and preparation at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance locations.

Take command of your taxes. The VITA program, offered through the Armed Forces Tax Council, provides coordinators for the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force and Coast Guard. VITA specialists are trained to address military-specific tax issues such as combat-zone benefits and applying Earned Income Credit guidelines. They oversee the operation of military tax programs worldwide and serve as the main IRS outreach for military personnel and their families. The VITA locations listed are on military installations but VITA support may not be available in every state or at every installation.

Before you visit

As tax day approaches, the VITA team is on your side. You can obtain tax advice, tax preparation, return filing and other tax services for free.

Find the VITA program site nearest you. If you don’t find an installation location in this list, VITA locations may be available in another community in your state.

To have your tax returns prepared, bring the following items to a VITA site:

    • Valid photo identification
    • Social Security cards for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents, if applicable (an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number)
    • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
    • Birth dates for primary and secondary earners and dependents on the tax return

Free MilTax Software

As a member of the military family, you can obtain 100% free access to tax consultants and financial counselors with military expertise. Contact Military OneSource anytime, 24/7 at 800-342-9647 to take advantage of this benefit.

  • Wage and earning statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099-R and 1099-Misc forms) from all employers
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, health coverage statements
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (1099 forms)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of your refund
  • Statements related to mortgages and homestead expenses (or rental property expenses to include insurance and property management)
  • Work-related materials and expenses that have not been reimbursed by your employer (to include mileage information and vehicle maintenance)
  • Documentation of donations and charitable expenses
  • Other relevant data about income and expenses (information about move-related expenses that were not reimbursed, home remodeling expenses, day care payments ─ with your day care provider’s identifying number, tax ID or Social Security number ─ and utility costs that may be eligible for tax credits)
  • Last year’s federal and state returns, if available (not required, but extremely helpful)
  • Copies of income transcripts from the IRS and state, if applicable

Having these documents available will make this process easier and possibly result in your receiving a bigger tax refund. Don’t forget that when filing taxes electronically on a married/joint return, both spouses must be present to sign and have appropriate identification.

Military OneSource MilTax provides help finding VITA program locations where participants can self-file, sit down with a trained tax professional and complete their state and federal tax returns, or drop off their forms and return at a designated time to complete their free tax filing. VITA offices and Military OneSource offer free electronic filing to eligible service members and their families.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.