My Military
OneSource App

How to Choose a Counselor or Therapist

Woman speaks to counselor.

The military knows that everyone needs help at times and offers a variety of support options to service members and their families. In addition to the confidential, free non-medical counseling available through Military OneSource, there are other types of counseling and therapy available through other avenues. Understanding your options is the best way to make sure you choose the right counselor or therapist for your individual needs.

What’s the difference between non-medical and medical counseling?

During a counseling session, you’ll work with a trained professional who will talk to you about issues you’re concerned with and help you find ways to cope with them. Your sessions can be individual (between just you and your counselor), with another person (such as your spouse) or in a group (perhaps your whole family).

Non-medical counseling, like the free, confidential counseling provided through Military OneSource and the Military and Family Life Counseling program, addresses other issues like:

  • Relationship concerns at home or work
  • Managing stress
  • Adjusting to change or dealing with a transition
  • Parenting difficulties
  • Dealing with grief or loss
  • Returning from deployment

Medical counseling, which is not provided through either Military OneSource or the Military and Family Life Counseling program, specifically addresses medically diagnosable issues such as:

  • Drug and alcohol abuse
  • Mental illness
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Child abuse or neglect
  • Domestic violence
  • Thoughts of suicide

If you or someone you know is in crisis, contact the Military Crisis Line at 988, then press 1, or access online chat by texting 838255.

Contact Military OneSource 24/7.

You can get personalized help 365 days a year by telephone and online.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.

Prefer to live chat? Start now.

What are the different types of counselors?

  • Social workers are trained to understand how people are affected by their environment, including their family and culture.
  • Marriage and family therapists are trained to deal with interpersonal relationships, including family and couple conflicts.
  • Mental health counselors help people cope with a particular concern or difficult life event. Some may specialize in a particular area, such as educational or religious counseling.
  • Psychologists have a master’s or doctorate degree and use different kinds of testing to help identify and resolve problems.
  • Psychiatrists are licensed medical doctors specially trained to assess, diagnose and treat a patient’s mood disorder. They can hospitalize patients and prescribe medication.
  • Certified pastoral counselors are members of the clergy with specialized training in psychotherapy. All service members have access to pastoral counseling by trained, qualified military chaplains through their commands and installations.
  • Licensed professional counselors generally have a master’s degree in counseling or in a related field and provide general mental health counseling services.

Will my counseling sessions be confidential?

Yes, with a few exceptions. State laws or federal and military regulations may require your counselor to report specific instances, such as:

  • Domestic violence
  • Child abuse
  • Threats of self-harm or harm to others

How can I choose the best counselor for me?

Choosing a counselor is a personal decision specific to your individual needs and concerns. Military OneSource consultants, available at 800-342-9647, can help you figure out the best option for you. Regardless of which type of counselor or therapist best suits you, it is important that you find the help you need when you need it.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation

SAFETY ALERT: If you need to exit this website in a hurry, click the “Exit Site” button and you will be quickly redirected to

Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. If you are afraid your internet usage might be monitored, visit the 24/7 Family Advocacy Program Victim Advocate Locator or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800−799−7233.