Since 1983, April has been National Child Abuse Prevention Month. The observance serves to educate parents and the community about warning signs of child abuse and neglect, helping resources and to reinforce the safety and well-being of children is a shared community responsibility.
Online resources for service providers and families
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month initiative, hosted through funding by the Children's Bureau within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services each April, is available on the Child Welfare Information Gateway website.
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month DoDLive blog reminds the community that child abuse is everyone’s business and provides resources to prevent child abuse.
- Just in Time Parenting provides professionals with a resource for research-based information that military families can use when they need it.
- Kids.gov is a safe place online for kids to create, play and learn.
- “Learn the Signs. Act Early.” is a section of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website that promotes early screening for developmental delays with training and continuing education for parents, providers, and professionals.
- PARENTING for Service Members and Veterans provides no-cost, online parent training courses specifically developed for military and veteran parents to help improve parenting skills.
- ZERO TO THREE is a parenting website that helps increase Family Advocacy Program outreach to busy parents of young children.
- Department of Defense Memorandum for 2017 National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Military Families Learning Network Family Development Podcasts
- Military Families Learning Network Family Development Webinars
Find out more about signs of abuse and healthy parenting with the following Military OneSource resources
- 12 Can’t Miss Resources for Military Parents
- Tips for Disciplining Your Child
- Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention: It Is Your Business (Podcast)
- Guarding Against Child Sexual Abuse
- Giving Your Child a Happy, Healthy Start With 5210 Healthy Military Children
- How to Report Child Abuse in the Military
- Military OneSource Family Advocacy Program Child Abuse and Domestic Abuse page
- The New Parent Support Program
- Promoting Healthy Parent Child Relationships (Podcast)
- Signs of Child Abuse
- 2017 National Prevent Child Abuse Poster (8.5" x 11")
- 2017 National Prevent Child Abuse Poster for Professional Printing (8.5" x 11")
- 2017 National Prevent Child Abuse Poster for Professional Printing (16" x 20")
- 2017 Local Prevent Child Abuse Poster (8.5"x11")
- 2017 Local Prevent Child Abuse Poster for Professional Printing (8.5"x11")
- 2017 Local Prevent Child Abuse Poster for Professional Printing (16"x20")
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network resources
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network resources
- Month of the Military Child
- Child Maltreatment in Military Families