If you're a service provider working with military families, check out the Military Families Learning Network. The purpose of the Learning Network is to provide you with top-notch professional development at your desktop.
What is the MFLN?
The Military Families Learning Network is made up of Cooperative Extension family specialists, military family service professionals from the Department of Defense branch services and nongovernmental organizations. This Learning Network offers professional development opportunities through web conferencing and personal knowledge management through social media.
These online communities engage on various social media platforms, as well as on Department of Defense-authorized collaboration services.
What are the primary areas of focus for the MFLN?
The MFLN concentrates primarily on the following:
- Personal finance
- Family development (including early intervention)
- Military life-span caregiving (including the Exceptional Family Member Program)
- Military family life cycle transition support (deployment, relocation and transition)
- Nutrition and wellness
- Community capacity building
- Network literacy
How can you get the most out of the MFLN?
- Join the learning: Choose from a wide range of topics and learn from experts. Can't attend the actual webinar? Look for the recordings and presentation slides to be posted online or go through the archives.
- Discover and discuss: Check out new resources and collaborate with others on diverse issues, including advocating for and supporting military families, welcoming a military family with special needs, improving childhood outcomes or planning for tax season.
- Gain proficiency: Get more comfortable with a variety of tools to use in interactive online environments in your own work through network literacy training.
- Be social: Use social networking and other social media tools to build a community around a topic of your interest or location.
- Learn from informative content: Engage with blogs, videos, journal articles and more on topics ranging from the effects of trauma in young children to working with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families.
Become more comfortable and proficient with a variety of tools to use in interactive online environments in your own work through network literacy training.
Watch a webinar on family development, military caregiving, personal finance, child care or network literacy.