Caregiving comes with its own expenses — some anticipated and others not. As a service member, you and your family qualify for numerous benefits that may help relieve some of the financial stress of caregiving. While Military OneSource does not provide direct health care services, it does offer non-medical counseling and information about health care services and benefits.

TRICARE home health benefits

  • Your loved one may be eligible to receive home health care benefits if he or she has TRICARE.
  • The program has information to help you determine the benefits for which your loved one may be eligible.

Medicare and Medicaid programs

If your loved one meets eligibility requirements for Medicare or Medicaid, coverage may be available for medical costs, transportation, respite care, home modifications and equipment expenses.

Social Security

There are several Social Security programs that may be available for your loved one if they meet the eligibility requirements, such as Retirement Benefits, Disability Insurance Benefits or Supplemental Security Income. Social Security also has information for those helping others and Representative Payees.

Financial counseling

Military relief societies

  • Each service has a private, nonprofit organization that assists families in times of need.
  • Assistance may include emergency transportation; help with medical bills, child care expenses, food, rent, utilities and other household bills; vehicle repair; and family emergency assistance.
  • For more information on relief societies, contact the Army Emergency Relief, the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society or the Air Force Aid Society.

Mobility assistance

Sometimes a major injury or illness can affect mobility. If you or your loved one are facing new physical challenges, be sure to check out these resources:

  • Office of Disability Employment Policy: Access all of the federal government’s disability-related information and resources.
  • VA Home Loans: These loans and grants are available to adapt the homes of disabled veterans or help them buy accessible homes.
  • Homes for Our Troops, Inc.: This privately-funded nonprofit builds specially adapted homes for severely injured veterans nationwide.
  • Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes: This site helps wheelchair-bound or blind veterans can receive financial assistance to buy homes that accommodate their disabilities.
  • National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification: This nonprofit provides helpful advice and links, including state-by-state information.

Assistive devices

Semper Fi Fund

The Semper Fi Fund provides immediate financial assistance and lifetime support to post-9/11 wounded, critically ill and injured service members and their families, ensuring that they have the resources they need during their recovery and transition back to their communities.

Military Heroes Fund Emergency Financial Assistance

The Military Heroes Fund, an initiative of the PenFed Foundation, provides wounded veterans, military families and caregivers with financial assistance and support that cannot be supported by government agencies. The MHF has two components:

  • Emergency Financial Assistance for Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom wounded warriors and their families facing short-term financial difficulties.
  • Family and Caregiver Transition Support including child care support for families of wounded OIF/OEF veterans while receiving outpatient care; short-term training or education expenses for job certification, licensure requirements and course materials; and in-home health care for injured veterans to support caregiver respite needs.

USA Cares Warrior Treatment Today

USA Cares Warrior Treatment Today pays essential household bills while a wounded service member or veteran is attending residential treatment for a traumatic brain injury or PTSD.

If you or someone you know is in crisis, contact the Military Crisis Line at 988, then press 1, or access online chat by texting to 838255.