- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- National Guard
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
The military provides specialized wounded warrior programs designed to help wounded, ill and/or injured service members transition back to duty or civilian life. Each service branch has its own program. While the programs do not focus on medical issues, they do help service members and their medical teams develop a comprehensive recovery plan that addresses specific rehabilitation and recovery goals.
Wounded warrior program eligibility
Wounded warrior programs are not solely exclusive to service members with combat injuries. They also assist:
- Service members who are battling serious illnesses
- Service members who have been injured in accidents and require long-term care
Types of support wounded warrior programs provide
Wounded warrior programs provide non-medical support that is tailored to fit both the service member’s and caregiver’s needs. This support spans from something as simple as helping service members understand their benefits to assisting them with their specialized transportation needs. The program provides services that address:
- Pay and personnel issues
- Invitational travel orders
- Lodging and housing adaptations
- Child and youth care arrangements
- Transportation needs
- Legal and guardianship issues
- Education and training benefits
- Respite care
- Traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress support services
How to enroll in the wounded warrior program
Enrollment into a wounded warrior program varies per branch. Some service branches allow wounded warriors to self-refer into the program. Other service branches require that a medical officer make a program enrollment request on behalf of the service member. Here is a contact list for the various wounded warrior programs:
- Army Recovery Care Program: To be considered eligible for entry into the Army Recovery Care Program, soldiers must meet the entry criteria for their component. For more information and assistance, contact the Army Recovery Care Program call center at 877-393-9058, DSN 312-221-9113.
- Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment: The parent command, medical officer, medical case manager or Wounded Warrior Regiment detachment officer-in-charge must initiate the request on behalf of the service member. For more information on the referral process, contact the Wounded Warrior Regiment call center at 877-487-6299.
- Navy Wounded Warrior: Sailors and Coast Guardsmen may self-refer to the program or be referred by a family member, their command leadership or their medical team. For questions on enrollment eligibility, contact the Navy Wounded Warrior call center at 855-NAVY-WWP or 855-628-9997, or use the contact links provided on the website.
- Air Force Wounded Warrior: Anyone can refer an airman into the Air Force Wounded Warrior program. Contact the AFW2 program office at 800-581-9437 or use the direct email links provided on the website.
- U.S. Special Operations Command Warrior Care Program: USSOCOM WCP was established in 2005 to provide support to special operations forces wounded, ill or injured service members and their families after life-changing events to help them navigate through recovery, rehabilitation and reintegration. For more information, call 877-672-3039 or 813-826-8888.
For additional information and resources, including free specialty consultation services, visit the Military OneSource Wounded Warrior webpage. You can also contact a Military OneSource consultant 24/7/365. Call 800-342-9647, view overseas calling options or schedule a live chat.