My Military
OneSource App
Handing keys to service member

The Military’s Dislocation Allowance FAQs

If you’re planning your next military move due to a permanent change of station, you may be able to receive a dislocation allowance.

A DLA partially reimburses service members for incurred household moving expenses. The household move must be required by a PCS, evacuation or – in some cases – ordered for the government’s convenience. Generally, only one DLA is permitted in a fiscal year.

Below, find the answers to some frequently asked questions about DLA.

For detailed information on DLA, see the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), section 0505 – “Dislocation Allowance (DLA)” – starting at page 5A-16.

If you need more moving help – including free neighborhood reports, relocation assistance and housing resources – Military OneSource is always available to help. Contact Military OneSource at 800-342-9647. OCONUS/Overseas? Click here for calling options.

Note: These instructions have been reviewed by the Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee staff in accordance with DoDI 5154.31, Volume 5, dated 16 October 2015, as PDTATAC Case RR19009.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.