Handing keys to service member

The Military’s Dislocation Allowance FAQs

If you’re planning your next military move due to a permanent change of station, you may be able to receive a dislocation allowance.

A DLA partially reimburses service members for incurred household moving expenses. The household move must be required by a PCS, evacuation or – in some cases – ordered for the government’s convenience. Generally, only one DLA is permitted in a fiscal year.

Below, find the answers to some frequently asked questions about DLA.

Who is eligible to get a dislocation allowance?add
Who cannot receive a dislocation allowance? add
How much is the dislocation allowance? add
How do I apply for a dislocation allowance? add
Can I get a dislocation allowance before the move? add
What is a “secondary” dislocation allowance? add
What if I was ordered to leave family-type government housing with no PCS orders, or if my base closes? Can I still receive a DLA?add


For detailed information on DLA, see the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), section 0505 – “Dislocation Allowance (DLA)” – starting at page 5A-16.

If you need more moving help – including free neighborhood reports, relocation assistance and housing resources – Military OneSource is always available to help. Contact Military OneSource at 800-342-9647. OCONUS/Overseas? Click here for calling options.

Note: These instructions have been reviewed by the Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee staff in accordance with DoDI 5154.31, Volume 5, dated 16 October 2015, as PDTATAC Case RR19009.