My Military
OneSource App
Two wedding rings

Foreign-Born Spouses, Planning and Support

As a member of the military, you will most likely find yourself embarking on adventures in various countries. One of the benefits of the military life is the opportunity to live, work and travel all over the world — meeting people along the way. If you choose to marry a foreign-born person, be sure you understand the challenges and opportunities you will face together.

Will marrying a foreign-born person affect my military job?

Many jobs at the top of the military career ladder require a secret or top-secret security clearance. That clearance is valuable to you when you are in the military and after you leave.

Remember, the government takes your spouse’s nationality into consideration when deciding on security clearances. You may face questions about your decision to marry and any interaction you might have with your spouse’s family. The government may decide to deny you a clearance or your clearance may be revoked.

How do I deal with the language barrier?

Military jargon and complicated legal documents can be tricky for anyone to understand and this is especially true for spouses who are learning English or may speak English as a second language. Military OneSource can help.

Military OneSource offers document translation services for legal documents such as marriage licenses, passports, rental leases, birth certificates, school transcripts or adoption papers. Call a Military OneSource consultant at 800-342-9647 for translation assistance. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.

  • Make sure the document that needs to be translated is in front of you when you make the call. Medical documents do not qualify for this service.
  • Military OneSource translators can certify and notarize documents up to 20 pages.

Is my spouse eligible for an overseas naturalization?

Your spouse may be eligible for an expedited or overseas naturalization if he or she is able to read, write and speak basic English. Basic knowledge of U.S. history and government can also increase the likelihood your spouse will qualify for an expedited naturalization process.

Military OneSource can direct you to information on the services available to you and your foreign-born spouse. Our translators can assist you with your documents and provide a certificate of authenticity for those documents. Connect with Military OneSource at 800-342-9647. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.