- Military Life Cycle
- Family & Relationships
- Moving & Housing
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- Health & Wellness
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Service Providers & Leaders
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
Call the Military Crisis Line at 800-273-8255 and press 1, or text 838255.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Logistics and Family – The Essentials
An overseas PCS can be an exciting opportunity for your family to live abroad. While you may be focusing on the opportunities to experience new languages, foods and cultures, remember to include moving logistics in your relocation plans. Military OneSource and the military Relocation Assistance Program provide a wide variety of online tools, personalized support and practical information to help you master your overseas move.
Here are four things to consider when making an OCONUS PCS:
Apply for command sponsorship.
If you intend to take your family with you overseas, you’ll need to obtain command sponsorship. This designation, which will appear on your orders, ensures your family will receive travel compensation, housing support and legal protection in your host country. Complete the command sponsorship request and follow the instructions carefully, but keep in mind it’s not guaranteed. Learn more about obtaining command sponsorship before an overseas tour.
Schedule your move
Once you have orders in hand, it’s time to schedule your move dates. Contact your local transportation office to schedule an info/counseling session and learn what options there are for transporting your goods. Learn more about preparing for your overseas PCS in the following articles and resources:
- Arranging a Personal Property Shipment
- A Service Family Checklist for Moving OCONUS
- 6 Things to Know About Shipping a Car Overseas
- How to Get Your Household Goods Overseas
The Military OneSource PCS & Military Moves page offers all of your moving information and resources in one convenient place. This includes information from the retired Move.mil website such as moving guides, entitlement brochures, FAQs about shipping your household goods and privately owned vehicles, Defense Personal Property System or DPS login options and more.
Finding the right home is key to successful OCONUS living. You may stay on the installation in government housing or qualify for Overseas Housing Allowance to live elsewhere. Contact your installation housing office to find out what options are available to you in your new location. You can also use the following resources to learn about your new location:
- MilitaryINSTALLATIONS – an online directory of information about U.S. military installations worldwide. Provides comprehensive information including base essentials, programs and services contacts, community demographics and more.
- Homes.mil – a service that connects service members and their families with housing rentals located near military bases.
- DOD Lodging – offers resources for temporary lodging, at home and abroad.
Use Your Resources
The military Relocation Assistance Program offers comprehensive support before and after you move including: help with understanding entitlements and shipment options; budget planning; housing, spouse employment and community information; cultural adaptation, and much more. Relocation assistance service providers can help you prepare for your PCS and make connections at your new duty station. They offer one-on-one consultation and information, as well as referrals to relevant workshops, classes and resources. Contact your Military and Family Support Center to speak with a relocation assistance service provider at your installation and find out more.
- Life Overseas – The Essentials
- Moving Overseas With Children
- Sponsorship: The Best Way to Settle Into Your New Home
- 7 Ways to Lean on Your Military Community to Settle Into Your New Home Faster
- How School Liaisons Help Students Realize Education Goals and More
- Citizenship and Immigration – The Essentials
- Document Translation Services from Military OneSource
Military OneSource is available 24/7 to help you with your overseas PCS move. From online tools and self-help resources to help you get organized such as Plan My Move, to a complete guide to DOD installations worldwide on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, find everything you need to master your move.