My Military
OneSource App

OCONUS/Overseas Moves – Resources

Your OCONUS, or overseas move may take you to Europe, Asia or another corner of the globe. Living overseas can be one of the most rewarding parts of your military experience, but it can also bring challenges. Fortunately, Military OneSource and the military Relocation Assistance Program offer comprehensive resources and support to help you master your OCONUS move.

Learn more about planning your OCONUS move, and take advantage of the following resources.

General relocation support

  • Military OneSource offers service members and families a wide range of moving support including planning and packing tips, financial counseling, information about your new community schools and child care options and more. We can even assist spouses with career counseling and job searches. Consultants are available 24/7/365 to answer your moving questions and connect you with the resources you need. Call 800-342-9647, use OCONUS calling options, or schedule a live chat.
  • The military Relocation Assistance Program offers comprehensive moving support including help with understanding entitlements and shipment options, budget planning, housing and community information, cultural adaptation before and after you move, and much more. Relocation assistance service providers can help you prepare for your PCS and make connections at your new duty station. They offer one-on-one advice and information, as well as referrals to workshops and classes on specific topics. Contact your installation Military and Family Support Center to speak with a relocation assistance service provider, and for more information about relocation programs and services.

Moving logistics

  • The Military OneSource Moving Your Personal Property page now offers all of your moving information and resources in one convenient place. This includes information from the retired website such as moving guides, fact sheets, FAQs about shipping your personal property and privately owned vehicles, Defense Personal Property System, or DPS, login and more.
  • The Plan My Move online tool creates a custom task checklist for your move to help you get organized and stay on track. Simply enter your current and new installation information and the program automatically creates a customizable list you can download, update and save for future moves.
  • Your local transportation office can help you set up the logistics for your move as soon as you receive PCS orders. The office can assist with understanding entitlements and moving allowances, and scheduling personal property shipments.Average weight allowances for a PCS are based on rank, dependency status and move type. Special circumstances, like moving overseas/OCONUS, a retirement move, or a separation move may have extra entitlements and/or limitations. View the PCS and NTS Weight Allowances (Table 5-37) or the TDY HHG Weight Allowances (Table 2-25) to determine how much you can ship according to your specific weight allowance. Each branch of service may also offer different allowances too, so be sure to check with your local transportation office to confirm these amounts.

    Your local transportation office can also assist with any problems you may encounter with your moving company during packing, moving and delivery. For service branch specific customer service and claims contact information, visit Personal Property Customer Service Contacts.

  • For comprehensive personal property information, view the Defense Transportation Regulation, Part IV. It can help you understand the Defense Personal Property System, your allowances, entitlements, shipment and storage responsibilities, and much more.


  • Your installation housing office can help you find out what housing options will be available to you in your new location. They can also provide information about Overseas Housing Allowance if installation housing is not available.
  • is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases.
  • DOD Lodging can help you find temporary lodging, both at home and abroad.

Family resources

  • helps you explore different childcare options and locate Defense Department-approved providers around the world. Learn about military child care programs, including expanded hourly child care services, through Military OneSource.
  • If you have a family member with special needs, consultants with the Exceptional Family Member Program can help you make sure their needs are met during and after your move, especially if they will transfer to a new school. You can also check out the EFMP & Me online tool for information and support anytime, anywhere.
  • Your local school liaison can provide support for education-related questions for children grades pre-K through 12. School liaisons are located at each installation and provide transition assistance before and after a PCS. They can help with transfer of credits and class registration, as well as finding after-school and extracurricular programs, tutoring, youth sponsorship and more. They can also connect you to the Exceptional Family Member Program and your school’s special education department, and help you navigate your new school district’s special education program.
  • If you arrive at your new duty station before your household goods do, take advantage of your installation loan closet to borrow certain household items — such as dishware, toasters and coffee makers — while you’re waiting for your belongings to arrive. Services vary by installation so contact your installation Military and Family Support Center for more information.


Your new community

  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS provides installation overviews and base essentials, programs and services contacts, maps, photos and other information to help you learn about your new community before you move, and settle in after you arrive. Learn more about how to explore your base and beyond with MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
  • The military sponsorship program can provide a sponsor of similar rank and family status to show you and your family around your new community and duty station. Sponsors can tell you about your new unit and life on base, as well as fill you in on cultural norms and quirky customs. If your unit hasn’t already assigned you a sponsor, contact your Military and Family Support Center.
  • Your installation Military and Family Support Center is your main point of contact for programs and services in your new community. They can help with newcomer briefings, cultural adaptation workshops, translation services, child care options, youth sponsorship, financial issues, deployment support and much more.

Moving is always an adventure. Moving overseas is an adventure on a different scale. With the tools and the resources available through Military OneSource and your Relocation Assistance Program, you’ll be able to seize the adventure and master your move. Military OneSource consultants are available 24/7/365 to help answer your questions and connect you with the resources you need. Call 800-342-9647, find OCONUS calling options or a schedule a live chat today.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.