Civilian Employment Information
Reserve Component service members are required to annually submit information about their civilian employer and job skills in order for the Department of Defense to meet three different requirements defined in law.
The Department of Defense is required to:
- Give consideration to civilian employment necessary to maintain national health, safety and interest when considering members for recall;
- Ensure that members with critical civilian skills are not retained in numbers beyond those needed for those skills;
- Inform employers of reservists of their rights and responsibilities under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
Providing current CEI enables the Department of Defense to inform Reserve Component Service members and their employers of their rights and obligations.
Using the CEI Tool
CEI for National Guard members (Army and Air) is submitted annually during readiness processing or records reviews. The system is designed for unit personnel specialists or readiness personnel to submit the required CEI during annual records reviews or readiness processing events. The system is not designed for individual service members to input their CEI. Follow the steps below to submit information through the CEI Tool. Note: Other reserve component service members should continue to report CEI information through their respective service.
- Log into the Mission Analysis Readiness Resource Synchronization application with your common access card. Unit personnel specialists and readiness personnel who do not currently have a MARRS-N account need to request access at the link above.
- Click the CEI Tool link from the MARRS homepage menu.
- Use the Search filters, Page tabs and Show entries to find your unit and name.
- Use the Columns button to select which data columns to display in the table.
- Click the Review button to edit the civilian employment data.
- Use the text fields and drop-down menus to enter the CEI data. Click Save.
If the service member’s name does not appear in the CEI data table:
- Click the Create New Member Record button from the main CEI table.
- Enter the social security number and name.
- Select the service and component. Click Save.
What happens if I don’t submit my CEI?
Submitting your CEI is mandatory. Reserve component members who fail to submit their information (or submit false employment information) can be subject to administrative or punitive action. Additionally failing to provide the required information could adversely impact your local community.
What information am I required to provide?
Social Security Number*
Industry and Title (based upon Department of Labor standardized categories)
Position Start Date
Position End Date
Answer Question: Are you a first responder?
Answer Question: Are you self employed?
* This information is prepopulated in the system for Army National Guard members. Air National Guard members need to enter the information. Social security numbers are not displayed on reports and only the last four numbers are visible in the system. Social security numbers are required by Defense Manpower Data Center for CEI reporting.