Benefits for Members of the National Guard and Reserves
Being a member of the National Guard or reserves has rewards that can’t be measured – the pride of service, for example, and the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping to keep your country safe.
There are other benefits as well. Through programs like Military OneSource, the Department of Defense offers resources, services and tools to help individuals and families navigate civilian and military life. These benefits are designed to be accessible to those who don’t live near an installation. Learn what’s available so you don’t miss out.
Personalized support for your well-being
Service members and their families are resilient. But they also shoulder a heavy load at times. Military OneSource offers free counseling and consultations to help your family stay strong through the challenges of military life.
- Non-medical counseling can keep issues from growing into bigger problems. Military OneSource non-medical counselors understand military life and how to support families like yours. A non-medical counselor can help you cope with loss, ease conflict at home or work, manage anger or stress, adjust to changes like returning from deployment, and much more. Sessions are available in person, by phone, secure video or online chat.
- Building Healthy Relationships specialty consultations are all about improving connections with the people in your life – your partner, your child, your blended family. Each track focuses on a specific relationship or situation and helps you set goals and strengthen your communication skills. Sessions are available by phone or video.
- Health and wellness coaching can help boost your efforts to eat well and get fit, manage stress or cope with a life change. Your coach will help you set goals and create a plan to meet them.
Learn more or schedule a session with a non-medical counselor, consultant or coach by calling Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.
Virtual tools to bring out the best in you
Access free resilience tools and online apps anywhere, anytime. These tools offer convenience and portability for meeting wellness goals, managing stress, strengthening your relationships and building resilience.
- Recommended Wellness Apps were developed by the Department of Defense and its partners specifically for military members and their families. You’ll find apps for parents and children as well as those designed to help service members become more mission-ready.
- Love Every Day is a fun, interactive way to strengthen your relationship with your partner.
- MoodHacker lets you track, understand and improve how you’re feeling.
- CoachHub connects you with a professional coaching expert to help motivate you as you work toward your health and wellness goals.
Support for your family’s education and career goals
As a guardsman or reservist, your family is eligible for resources to help them succeed in school – and in some cases, to help pay for it. Military spouses have access to a suite of benefits and services to help them advance in their careers as well.
- The Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program provides education and career guidance, resources and online tools to military spouses. Services include free career coaching, online assessments, resume help, mock interviews, a scholarship finder and more.
- My Career Advancement Account Scholarship Program provides military spouses with up to $4,000 financial assistance for licenses, certifications or an associate’s degree. MyCAA is open to spouses of active-duty service members as well as National Guard and reserve members on Title 10 military orders. Spouses of service members in pay grades E-1 through E-5, W-1 through W-2 and O-1 through O-2 who have successfully completed high school and have the ability to request tuition assistance while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders are eligible.
- The Military Spouse Employment Partnership connects military spouses with employers who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses. The online MSEP job search lists openings at these companies and organizations. You can also take advantage of the Job Search Navigator to have customized job leads delivered to your inbox.
- The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits to eligible National Guard members and reservists.
- Support for pre-K-12 education for families with children includes information and resources to help you build a strong foundation of learning for your child.
- The Morale, Welfare and Recreation Digital Library is packed with ebooks, audiobooks, reference books and databases for all ages. The MWR Digital Library also includes online tutoring through Tutor.com.
Expert assistance for navigating life
Sometimes it helps to talk to an expert. Military OneSource offers specialized assistance with a wide range of individualized consultations for many aspects of military life.
- Financial counseling can help you tackle debt, build savings and more. Military OneSource financial counselors are available in person, by phone and by video.
- MilTax services includes tax prep and e-filing software, as well as personalized support.
- Specialty consultations are available for a range of needs for military families, including adoption, education, elder care, special needs and wounded warriors. Specially trained consultants will answer your questions and concerns, provide information and connect you to appropriate resources.
- New MilParent specialty consultations offer personalized support for parents who are expecting a baby, or have children up to age 5. Consultants can help with common concerns, such as toilet training and sleep issues, as well as those specific to military families, such as preparing your young child for a parent’s deployment. Unlimited sessions are available by phone or video chat.
- Document translation and language interpretation services are available in more than 150 languages. Certain official documents can be translated, such as leases, marriage licenses, adoption paperwork, birth certificates and school transcripts. Interpretation services are available by phone for service members and their families who need help speaking in English.
No matter where you live or what your activation status is, Military OneSource is available 24/7 for you and your family. Call 800-342-9647 to connect with a consultant. If you are outside the continental United States, find international calling options here.