- Military Life Cycle
- Family & Relationships
- Moving & Housing
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- Health & Wellness
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Service Providers & Leaders
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
Call the Military Crisis Line at 800-273-8255 and press 1, or text 838255.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Commissary and Exchange – Benefits
Tax-free shopping and military-exclusive pricing on goods and services sound like a dream. But, as a service member, they are very real. Find tax-free shopping, great savings and other benefits when you shop at a military commissary or exchange.
Buying groceries at the commissary offers you great savings. It can make a noticeable difference in your household budget. Commissaries provide a military benefit and save customers:
- Thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products sold by commercial retailers
- Nearly 24% on average when compared with commercial grocery store prices*
- Even more through the Defense Commissary Agency’s YES! (Your Everyday Savings!) program
* This savings is after the commissary adds a 5% surcharge at the checkout, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones.
Commissaries also offer other perks that you can take advantage of, including:
- Coupons and rewards: Create an account on the Commissary CLICK2GO website. Pick up a Commissary Rewards Card at any location worldwide and load it up with digital coupons for even more savings.
- Savings and prizes: Go to the DeCA website for sales promotions, the most recent sales flyer and to access deep discounts. You can also enter contests, sweepstakes and shopping sprees or create an online shopping list.
- Quality products at a discount: Commissary store brands are sold under eight names, including Freedom’s Choice (food items) and Home Base (nonfood items). These private-label products provide savings and quality comparable to national brands.
- Scholarships: The Scholarships for Military Children program awards hundreds of $2,000 scholarships annually at commissary locations.
Military exchange benefits
The Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Navy Exchange Service Command and Marine Corps Exchange support military service members from all branches. Active-duty service members, retirees, their families, veterans with service-connected disabilities and other eligible shoppers can take advantage of savings and benefits. Military exchange benefits include:
- Give back to the community. Each time you shop at your military exchange, in person or online, you make life better for those who serve. Exchanges give back 100% of their earnings to support military communities.
- Shop safely online. You can shop 24/7 through secure websites and get free shipping on purchases of $49 or more and for any items purchased with a MILITARY STAR® credit card.
- Find employment for family members. Military exchanges offer eligible spouses an advantage in the hiring process through spouse preference programs.
- Win contest prizes. Each military exchange offers customers a chance to participate in a variety of contests, events and sweepstakes.
- Earn scholastic rewards. Military exchanges reward military family member students in first through 12th grades who have a B grade-point-average equivalent or better. Find out more by bringing a recent report card to a military exchange customer service desk.
- Share a bond — we go where you go. Military exchange associates, many of whom are affiliated with the military either as a retiree or family member, voluntarily deploy under harsh conditions to serve military personnel in contingency locations around the world.
- Gain extra-friendly credit terms. The MILITARY STAR® card’s interest rate is one of the lowest in the country among store cards.
- Grab special deals overseas. If you’re stationed overseas for at least 30 days, you can typically buy a car tax-free and may even be able to ship it back to the United States for free.
- Enjoy contactless shopping. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service’s curbside pickup and the Navy Exchange’s Pick/Up Program allow customers to safely pick up merchandise curbside at select locations. Place your order and it will be ready for pickup within 48 hours.
- Purchase quality merchandise at a discount: Military exchanges offer their private-label merchandise in categories throughout the store to save customers even more.