Current as of May 25, 2021
Reading jumpstarts the imagination. It can open doors to new places and points of view. Gaining access to reading programs for children, teens and adults has never been easier.
How does reading color your world? Let’s count the ways. During the summer months, the Department of Defense Morale, Welfare and Recreation Libraries Summer Reading Program is:
2021 DOD MWR Libraries Summer Reading Program
The 2021 DOD MWR Libraries Summer Reading Program has ended. Check back here next spring for more information on how to join the 2022 program.
- A space for singles to connect over great books and discussions (virtually or in person)
- A free education for almost any topic you want to learn about
- A way to save money on auto repairs, crafts and do-it-yourself projects
- Another reason for the entire family to bond through the shared experience of a story
- A safe place to explore your world and feed your imagination
- An escape from your everyday surroundings
- Your access to free activities that encourage and support the love of reading (for all ages)
- Your path for earning incentives by reaching reading and activity goals
Enroll in this year’s program below and take some time to de-stress and find joy in reading. Explore a book for your own pleasure or to fill some down time in between activities. Enjoy your pages inside or outside at the park. Participate in a book club, which is a great way to meet new people. Set time as a family to read and discover together.
Why the summer reading program?
MWR develops many different enrichment programs to support force readiness and the military community. The mission of the DOD MWR Libraries Summer Reading Program is to help families bridge the summer learning gap while inspiring literacy and lifelong learning for all ages. The benefits of summer reading are clear:
- Students who participate in the library summer reading programs score higher on reading achievements tests.
- Students who read often are higher achievers than students who seldom read.
- Skillful reading is one of the most important habits that leads to a successful academic career and a happy, productive life.
The DOD MWR Libraries Summer Reading Program may look a little different this year. If your local library is not yet open due to coronavirus disease 2019 restrictions or you are not near an installation library, don’t worry, you can participate virtually.
Adults and children can join in and record summer reading minutes from home. Remember to log those hours so you can receive incentives and prizes such as gift cards from the weekly drawings. Read books from your home bookshelf or an e-book or audiobook you check out for free from the MWR Digital Library.
Get more out of your summer
This summer, let reading color your world and guide you to:
- Be creative. Reading is an adventure of the imagination. It can also help you unplug and unwind from your daily stressors.
- Try new things. Read a new-to-you genre, such as science fiction, fantasy, graphic novels, biography, thriller or mystery. Learn a new skill, hobby, language or craft.
- Explore art. When you open a book, you can be anywhere you want — no passport needed. View artists’ work from across the globe without leaving your room.
- Find beauty in diversity. Read a memoir or biography to step into another person’s shoes and gain new perspective on life or learn about a different culture or religion.
Enroll — it’s free and easy
To get started, find your installation library and register as an individual or as a family. Keep in mind that the program timeframes vary from library to library, so sign up as soon as possible to get the most out of the program. You can also contact your local installation library to learn more.
Your books are free, and portable year-round
Make reading a year-long habit. Just because summer is over doesn’t mean the adventures have to end.
DOD MWR Libraries offer much more than aisles of books. Service members and families have access to e-books, audiobooks and more via the MWR Digital Library. All you need is your Military OneSource account to begin browsing. Create an account.
Dive into a genre that interests you — or try them all. Looking for ways to unwind? Use the MWR Digital Library to pick out an audiobook. The digital library service is a great resource for military families without access to an installation library.
MWR Digital Library services are also available through your military service: