Vacation First Class Using Military Lodging
You've worked hard and it's time to enjoy a little R&R. Military families are eligible to use military lodging around the world, ranging from cottages on the beach to world-class resorts or recreational lodging facilities. You have many options and destinations include:
- Popular resort towns
- Big cities
- Oceanfront getaways
- Mountain top retreats
- Overseas locales
Where can I go?
No matter where the military sends you, a military lodging facility can help you vacation in style. Sometimes the toughest part of planning a vacation is deciding where to go. If you want some inspiration, here's just a sampling of what you can find around the world:
Eastern United States
- Shades of Green Resort, located at Disney World in Orlando, Florida, and operated by the Army, offers all the perks of a Disney resort. Purchase your Disney tickets, and then book your Shades of Green room by calling 888-593-2242.
- Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area near Cape Fear, North Carolina, offers beach cottages and a lodge. Call 910-458-6549 for more details.
- The Coast Guard maintains coastal cabins across the country. Enjoy a summer stay on Cape Cod or one of many other options. Cabins are available to all active-duty service members, their families, reservists and retirees. Get more information from the Coast Guard Recreational Lodging website.
Western United States
- Seward Resort in Alaska is open year-round to military families. Call 800-770-1858 to make a reservation.
- The Marine Corps' Big Bear Recreation Facility is near ski resorts in Big Bear, California. In the off-season, it offers mountain biking, hiking and fishing. Call 858-577-4126 for details.
- Waikiki Beach in Hawaii is home to the Hale Koa Hotel, operated by the Army. Reservations may be made up to a year in advance. Call 800-367-6027.
- Kilauea Military Camp is a joint services recreation center in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It offers mountain cottages and scenic tours. Call 808-967-7315.
Central United States
- The Army's Lake of the Ozarks Recreation Area in Missouri features lakefront cabins and motel rooms with boat and Jet Ski rentals. Call 573-346-5640 to reserve your space.
- In Japan, the Okinawa Okuma Joint Services Recreation Center offers log cabins, hotel rooms, campgrounds and a number of activities.
- The Dragon Hill Lodge is a first-class hotel in Seoul, South Korea, with resort amenities and shopping nearby. Visit Dragon Hill Lodge for more information.
- The New Sanno Hotel is a joint services facility operated by the Navy in the heart of Tokyo. Visit New Sanno Hotel for more details.
Who is eligible?
- Active-duty service members
- Military family members
- Military retirees
- National Guard and reserve members
- Department of Defense civilians
What do I need to know?
- Some military lodging properties fill up fast, so do your research and make reservations as early as you can. Reservation requirements vary by facility and duty status.
- Some military lodging facilities give priority to active-duty military members on orders, but not to leisure travelers. Rules vary by service branch and lodging facility.
- Pet policies may vary. If you plan to travel with your pets, make sure furry, four-legged guests are welcome before you book your stay.
- Mailing addresses are sometimes listed on military lodging websites or brochures. Request a GPS-friendly address when you make your reservation to help you reach your destination.
How do I plan my getaway?
- Do your research first. Make sure your destination is available.
- Take a look at all of your exciting options. Visit Army Morale, Welfare and Recreation, Marine Corps Community Services, Navy Gateway Inns and Suites and Air Force Services.
- Book as early as you can — especially if you want to vacation during peak travel times — to make sure popular destinations have openings. Keep in mind some facilities prioritize reservations by branch of service, duty station or status.
Eligibility and reservation requirements vary from one facility to the next. Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 to learn more about your destination of choice. You can also use your Morale, Welfare and Recreation and installation resources to plan your getaway. Visit your Information, Tickets and Travel office to learn where you can enjoy military discounts and entertainment.