As a service member, your military benefits entitle you and your family to stay at military lodging around the world. From cottages at the beach to cabins in the mountains, there are plenty of affordable destinations for a great trip. With a little planning, a family vacation is in your sights at an affordable price.
Plan your destination
Lodging is available at a wide variety of locations, across the U.S. and around the world. Explore your options — it’s a chance to travel somewhere new. Do your research when you decide to make sure the destination is available.
The following are examples of military lodging available around the globe:
- On the East Coast, check out Shades of Green Resort in Orlando, Florida, near Disney World, Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area in North Carolina, or one of the coastal cabins maintained by the Coast Guard.
- On the West Coast, look at Seward Resort in Alaska, Big Bear Recreation Facility in Southern California, or Kilauea Camp and Hale Koa Hotel in Hawaii.
- Travel to Europe and stay at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Germany.
- In Japan, check out the New Sanno Hotel in Tokyo or the Okuma Joint Services Recreation Center. Also in Asia is the Dragon Hill Lodge in Seoul, South Korea.
Some military lodging facilities give priority to active-duty military members on orders, but not to leisure travelers. Rules vary by service branch and lodging facility, so check ahead.
The following people are eligible for military lodging:
- Active-duty service members
- Military family members
- Military retirees
- National Guard and reserve members
- Department of Defense civilians
Military lodging tips
Especially during peak travel seasons, military lodging can fill up fast, so make your reservations early. Confirm with the destination regarding your eligibility based on your active-duty status and other designations.
Use your Morale, Welfare and Recreation and installation resources to plan your getaway. Reach out to Military OneSource at any time for more destination ideas and ways to save on your travels. Call 800-342-9647. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.