Managing the care and services for a family member with special needs can be easier with the right support. The Exceptional Family Member Program strives to help your military family with special needs thrive in military life.
- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
What is EFMP?
EFMP is more than just one program or connection point. It’s the work of three components:
- Identification and Enrollment
- Assignment Coordination
- Family Support
EFMP provides resources to support your MilLife journey that include:
- Special needs consultations
- EFMP & Me checklists
- Office of Special Needs EFMP podcast series
If your spouse, child or other dependent family member requires ongoing medical or educational services, your first step is to enroll in EFMP. Enrollment is mandatory. Once enrolled, you will have access to the services, support and information that will help you become your family’s best advocate.Exceptional Advocate eNewsletterSUBSCRIBE NOW!
Get quarterly EFMP updates in your inbox from the Office of Special Needs. Stay connected with the Exceptional Advocate eNewsletter.
Find out about identification and enrollment in EFMP
As part of EFMP Identification and Enrollment, EFMP Medical staff on your installation will provide support and help to coordinate identification and enrollment into EFMP. You can also request a referral to TRICARE to request a review for eligibility for the TRICARE Extended Care Health Option which may provide additional medical support services for family members with complex medical needs.
Take time to learn more about the program and how it can benefit your family.
ARTICLES TO HELP YOU LEARN MORE ABOUT EFMP
- The Exceptional Family Member Program: Three Parts Working Together.
- How the Exceptional Family Member Program Can Benefit Your Service Member and Their Family.
- Marine Study Finds EFMP Enrollment Does Not Negatively Impact Military Careers.
- See What’s New With the Exceptional Family Member Program.
- Exceptional Family Member Program Online Learning and Videos.
TOOLS & RESOURCES TO LEARN MORE ABOUT EFMP
Contact the EFMP Family Support office
To learn more about EFMP and support available to your family, reach out to your local EFMP Family Support office. EFMP Family Support providers play a critical role in providing information, referral, family needs assessments, and family service plans to help you achieve the goals that are unique to your family. The program connects you with the resources, expert consultation, education and community support you need so you can be your family’s best advocate. Get access to services and support in the manner that works best for your family.
EFMP Family Support
EFMP Family Support services include:
- Face-to-face meetings with EFMP Family Support experts on your installation
- Virtual or phone special needs consultations through Military OneSource
- Online information and resources on Military OneSource
- A digital tool — EFMP & Me — to help families directly access resources tailored to their needs
- The Office of Special Needs EFMP podcast series so you can hear from subject matter experts on the go
Plan ahead for your next assignment
Enrollment in EFMP comes with special considerations for military families with special needs. EFMP Family Support providers offer information and referrals and assists families as they navigate needed medical and educational services at their present, as well as new duty stations. Families can contact their EFMP Family Support provider to request a warm handoff to the gaining installation to ease their PCS transition. While the military mission is the driving force behind the assignment process, enrollment in EFMP ensures that your family member’s special needs are considered during the assignment coordination process.
EFMP strives to continually enhance services and have transparent communication with service members and families with special needs. The program is committed to improving EFMP to establish more standard procedures across the services to make it easier for families to find what they need, when they need it.
ARTICLES & EXTERNAL RESOURCES TO PLAN AHEAD FOR YOUR NEXT ASSIGNMENT
TOOLS & RESOURCES TO PLAN AHEAD FOR YOUR NEXT ASSIGNMENT
Featured MilLife Guides