Marine Corps PCS Moving Assistance

Marine assisting with a PCS question

Update to 2021 Peak Moving Season – MARADMIN 297/21

Updated June 4, 2021

The purpose of this MARADMIN 297/21, Update to 2021 Peak Moving Season is to stress the importance of immediate action by Marines, civilian Marines, and their families executing a permanent change of station move this year in accordance with guidance provided in MARADMIN 207/21 2021 Peak Moving Season Preparations. Effects of the on-going pandemic continue to challenge normal relocation processes especially in the area of moving household goods and other personal property (household goods, unaccompanied baggage, privately owned vehicles and mobile homes).

2021 Peak Moving Season Preparations – MARADMIN 207/21

Updated March 31, 2021

The purpose of this MARADMIN 207/21, 2021 Peak Moving Season Preparations, is to provide Marines, civilian Marines, and their families conducting a permanent change of station move in a COVID-19 environment during the peak moving season (May 15 through August 31, 2021) with direction and information on how to ship and store their personal property, also known as household goods or HHGs, unaccompanied baggage or UB, mobile homes and privately owned vehicles or POVs. Included are force health protection requirements such as wearing a suitable mask while performing pre-move surveys, packing, loading, unloading and unpacking operations, using a personally procured move, or PPM, to help reduce the demand on the transportation industry’s capacity and the importance of completing the customer satisfaction survey, or CSS, for each shipment made during the PCS completes the personal property contents. Paragraphs eight, nine and 10 provide the requirement for 72-hour pre-travel testing for COVID-19 for all international travel per the references, the transportation of pets as members of the Marine family aboard Air Mobility Command-Patriot Express, or AMC-PE, flights and the importance of contacting the local passenger travel office located within the distribution management office or installation transportation office at non-Marine Corps installations, to make pet transportation arrangements as early as possible.

ABC’s of PCS – Marine Minute

Ways to Improve Passenger Processing for an Overseas PCS

Personally Procured Move 2021 – Marine Minute

USMC PCS Family Advocacy Council Video

Tis’ the PCS Season – Marine Minute

Household Goods Safety – Marine Minute

PCS Wave – Marine Minute

PCS With Pets – Marine Minute

PCS Overseas – Marine Minute

Importance of Completing the Customer Satisfaction Survey – Marine Minute

Reinforcing Guidance for Marines Regarding Transportation, Pets, Housing and Quarantine-Level Restriction of Movement Associated with Permanent Change of Station Moves to Japan – MARADMIN 396/20

Updated July 14, 2020

Within the context of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the purpose of this message reinforces existing guidance for Marines regarding transportation, pets, housing and quarantine-level restriction of movement associated with PCS orders to Japan.

Note: This message does not apply to those personnel executing orders under chief of mission authorities. Those individuals should contact their gaining chain of command to ensure travel is being conducted by authorized means.

COVID-19 response

All documents, handouts and COVID-19 documents produced for Marines, civilian Marines, and their families can be found on the LPD-2 PCS MOVE RESOURCES public page. Click the red box labeled PCS Resources Menu for drop-down options.

MARADMIN 354/21 Marine Corps Guidance on Use of Masks and Other Containment Measures for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Customer service information

For assistance with entitlements, exceptions to policy and general move information, please contact your local distribution management office.

Marine Corps Customer Service
Facebook: U.S. Marine Corps Personal Property Transportation and Storage

The Navy’s Household Goods Help Line is also available for Marines, civilian Marines and their spouses to use for support when the local DMO or local transportation office is not available and immediate assistance is required for moving issues, counseling support and shipment information.

Navy Household Goods Help Line
Phone (toll free): 855-HHG-MOVE or 855-444-6683

Marine Corps claims

Submit to Navy Personnel Claims:

Website: U.S. Navy Judge Advocate Claims and Tort Litigation
Phone (DSN): 564-3310
Phone (commercial): 757-440-6315
Phone (toll free): 888-897-8217
Fax (commercial): 703-432-2591

Retirement/separation household goods extensions

For retirement or separation HHG extensions, contact:

Commandant of the Marine Corps
3000 Marine Corps Pentagon, Room 2E227 (LPD-2)
Washington, DC 20350-3000
United States

Phone (commercial): 855-HHG-MOVE or 855-444-6683
Fax (commercial): 703-695-8160

Supplemental policies

Find additional information on the Marine Corps Personal Property Transportation Program through Marine Corps Order 4600.39.

Military OneSource is here to support your move process and make your PCS as easy as possible. If you need additional information at your new installation, visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, an online information directory for military installations worldwide. For updates and information specific to your location, visit your installation’s official website. You can also follow your installation’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram platforms.

Stay up to date on all the latest information on COVID-19 and how it may impact your move. For Department of Defense updates for the military community regarding the virus that causes COVID-19, view the following sites:

Becoming an Officer in the Military After College

Officer Training

While it’s common knowledge that basic training sets recruits on the pathway toward becoming an enlisted service member, those with a desire for leadership opportunities and a bachelor’s degree can take another route into a military career – as a commissioned officer.

The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program for college students and Officer Candidate School or Officer Training School for graduates are great options for those who want to earn a four-year college degree before joining the military. Each service branch offers both ROTC and officer schools as entry points to an officer commission.

The benefits of joining the military after college

Joining the military as a commissioned officer can offer the best of both worlds for those who want the college experience but who also want to serve their country. The benefits include:

  • A guaranteed job after college
  • A leadership role at a young age
  • Higher pay than joining as an enlisted military member
  • Greater opportunities for promotion and training

Rising through ROTC

The ROTC program prepares students to become military officers while they pursue a four-year degree at an accredited college. ROTC is offered at more than 1,700 colleges and universities nationwide.

The Army, Navy and Air Force each offer four-year ROTC scholarships to college-bound high school students, and two- and three-year scholarships for students already in college. Navy ROTC students have the option of joining the Marine Corps after graduation.

The scholarships help pay for tuition and books and includes a monthly stipend for living expenses. ROTC students who accept scholarships commit to service as an officer after graduation. The military service obligation varies according to branch, but ranges from three to eight years.

Enrolling in ROTC

Enrollment requirements differ among service branches, but in general, ROTC candidates are required to:

  • Be a United States citizen
  • Be at least 17 years old and on schedule to receive their college degree before age 27
  • Score above a certain minimum on the SAT or ACT standardized tests
  • Meet physical fitness requirements for their branch of service
  • Receive medical clearance

How ROTC works

While there are differences among each service branch, as an ROTC cadet, you can expect to:

  • Take courses in military science, leadership and related topics alongside your regular college curriculum
  • Participate in regular drills and summer training activities
  • Maintain a minimum grade point average during college

Army ROTC graduates earn a commission as a second lieutenant and continue their training in their specific branch at Basic Officer Leaders’ Course. Navy and Air Force ROTC graduates continue their training at Officer Candidate or Training School before receiving their commission as a second lieutenant.

Learn more about the ROTC program at each service branch:

From officer school to officer

The Army and Marine Corps call it Officer Candidate School. In the Navy and Air Force, it’s Officer Training School. No matter its name, this intensive training program will prepare you mentally and physically for the demands of being a commissioned military officer.

Requirements for officer school

Being a U.S. citizen and having a four-year college degree or higher are the bare minimum requirements for officer school. Beyond that, the selection process is highly competitive across service branches. Candidates must meet physical standards, may have to pass a qualifying test, and demonstrate that they have leadership ability, integrity, dependability, academic discipline and adaptability.

About Officer School

Officer school spans 9 ½ to 12 weeks, depending on your branch of service. During that time, you will begin to develop the qualities of an officer, including military bearing, teamwork and the ability to perform under pressure and under adverse conditions.

Curriculum varies according to service, but in general, training school includes:

  • Regular physical conditioning and physical fitness tests
  • Academic classes in military subjects, leadership and ethics, and other subjects
  • Military training, including inspections and drills

Learn more about Officer Training School and Officer Candidate School by service branch.

Other paths to becoming a military officer

Attending officer school after college is just one way to earn a commission in the military. There are other paths as well:

  • Attend a military service academy. Each branch of the military has a four-year university that offers full scholarships to its students. Graduates serve as commissioned officers in the military. Acceptance into these academies is highly competitive.
  • Advance through the enlisted ranks. Enlistees may use their military education benefits to earn a four-year degree, then apply to officer school.
  • Receive a direct commission after earning a professional degree, such as a medical, law or religious studies degree. Direct commission officers are required to attend officer training. This is a good option for civilians who want to serve their country and who have special skills to offer.

You can learn more about joining the military as a commissioned officer by contacting a recruiter from your service branch or calling Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.