Air Force PCS Moving Support

Airman assisting with PCS claim forms

If you have orders for a temporary duty or permanent change of station move, it is recommended that you contact your local transportation office for help arranging your move. The office will be able to help you schedule your move and deal with the more complicated entitlements and accounting procedures that are typically associated with a military relocation.

Household goods inspection rate increase

Updated: Nov. 2, 2017

Effectively immediately, the Air Force inspection standard for household goods, unaccompanied baggage, non-temporary storage and local move shipments into, out of or within a transportation officer’s area of responsibility is increased from 50% to 80%.

Also per the memo, Air Force Personal Property Program Offices should offer one-on-one counseling to all service members:

Personal property offices will provide one-on-one counseling to all members as the norm. Group counseling and self-counseling through the Defense Personal Property System may be used where mission or unique circumstances dictate.

For more specific information, view:

Claims guidance – filing directly with your transportation service provider

On delivery day, it is very important that you write down new damage or missing items on the front of the Notice of Loss/Damage At Delivery form. This form may also be called the Form 1850 or DD Form 1840, and it may also be pink in color.

When listing the damages, you want to make sure you are very descriptive. For example, if you have DVDs missing, you need to put the inventory number of the missing box as well as the number of DVDs that were packed in the box. If your furniture has been damaged, list the inventory number, the item name and the specific type of damage. For example, record “kitchen table right leg scratched” versus “kitchen table scratched.” Both you and one of the delivery team members will sign and date the form, and each of you will receive a copy.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to check the form for your transportation service provider’s contact information as any claim you may file will be directly with the TSP.

Filing the Notice of Loss/Damage After Delivery form

You may discover loss or damage after the moving company leaves your residence. If so, you must give notification of the loss or damage to the TSP. You do this by filling out the Notice of Loss or Damage After Delivery form and sending it to your TSP within 75 days (applicable to household good shipments picked up prior to May 15, 2020) or within 180 days (applicable to household goods shipments picked up May 15, 2020 and after) from your delivery date. You must note what was missing or damaged within the required timeframe or the TSP can deny liability for those items.

An extension to the notification timeframe may be granted by your Military Claims Office, or MCO, for periods of official absence. Official absence includes temporary duty or deployment or any periods of hospitalization or medical incapacitation. Your MCO is the Air Force Claims Service Center located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The office contact information is provided below. Documentation, such as TDY orders, paid voucher or medical profile, must be submitted to your MCO for justification for extension. If you do not have justification for an extension, the TSP will not be considered liable for any missing or damaged items.

Filing your claim

You have nine months to submit your claim against your TSP in order to receive full replacement value, also referred to as FRV, for any missing or destroyed items. The TSP’s liability is to repair the item or provide full replacement value, whichever is less. If an item can be repaired, that’s what the TSP is liable for. If the item is missing or can’t be repaired, they must offer you full replacement value for that item.

Your TSP is responsible to obtain repair estimates or replacement cost substantiation. They may require your assistance to schedule inspections and repair estimates. They may also request that you provide the replacement cost substantiation. You must contact your TSP for information on their claims submission procedures. If you do not submit your claim within nine months, the TSP’s liability decreases to the depreciated valuation, so it is to your benefit to file your claim as quickly as possible. Your TSP has to provide the contact information for your claims examiner within 15 days of your claims submission.

Negotiating with your TSP

Your TSP has 60 days to adjudicate your claim from the date you submitted your claim. After reviewing your claim, your TSP will make a settlement offer to you.

If you agree with the settlement, the TSP will pay you or arrange for repairs. The TSP has 30 days to mail a check to you for items you have agreed on. The TSP should provide an itemized listing of their offer on all items.

If you don’t agree with the TSP’s offer on an item, you can ask them to reconsider their offer by providing further information which might sway them to make a better offer. If you receive a final denial or don’t agree with the TSP’s offer, you can file with your MCO for those items. In most cases, the MCO can only pay depreciated valuation, but will assert a recovery action against the responsible TSP in which they may be able to recover additional monies for you.

IMPORTANT: You cannot receive payment from your TSP and your MCO for the same item.

Claims assistance

If you require assistance during the claims process, please contact the Air Force Claims Service Center by calling DSN 986-8044, toll free 877-754-1212 or commercial 937-656-8044. Alternatively, you can email them at

Duty hours are 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

For a downloadable version of the claims information listed above, visit the claims process document.

Customer service information

Air Force Customer Service
For entitlements, exceptions to policy and general information, contact:
Phone (DSN): 487-3357
Phone (commercial): 210-652-3357


For claims assistance, contact:
Phone (DSN): 986-8044
Phone (commercial): 937-656-8044
Phone (toll free): 877-754-1212
Fax (DSN): 986-8307
Fax (commercial): 937-656-8307

Retirement/separation HHG extensions

Phone (DSN): 487-3312
Phone (commercial): 210-652-3312
Fax (DSN): 954-4263
Fax (commercial): 210-321-4263


555 E. Street East, Suite 4
JBSA Randolph, TX 78150-4439
United States

Supplemental policies

For detailed information about personal property moving and storage, consult the Air Force Household Goods Policy.

General information

Want to find the phone number for your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program or Military and Family Support Center? Find those and more on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, an online information directory for military installations worldwide. For updates and information specific to your location, visit your installation’s official website. You can also follow your installation’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram platforms.

Navy PCS Moving Assistance

Family moving into new housing

Need help or more information for your Navy PCS? For assistance completing your move application or for information on Navy entitlements, visit the household goods/personal property section of the Navy Supply Systems Command website.

Special circumstances moves: (next of kin, summary courts officers and joint military spouses)

Navy personnel who fall into the following categories should visit their local transportation office for assistance in scheduling their upcoming move. These service members SHOULD NOT attempt to self-counsel or schedule their move online in the Defense Personal Property System:

  • Personal property moving as “next of kin”
  • Summary courts officers
  • Joint military spouse moves (If couples are in different services, each member must create separate move applications.)

“Do-it-yourself” or personally procured move information

Generally, Navy personnel requesting an advance of up to 60% for a personally procured move, or PPM, must provide a copy of a vehicle rental reservation or moving company estimate to be eligible for a funds advance. The following exceptions apply:

  • First time movers and separating Navy personnel in a “non-pay status” are not eligible for an advance payment.
  • Navy personnel relocating to locations serviced by the one-time-only rate program are not eligible to do a PPM.

PCS Customer service information

Navy Customer Service
For customer service information on entitlements, exceptions to policy and general information, contact:
Phone (commercial): 855-HHG-MOVE or 855-444-6683

To file or find out more about claims and eligibility, contact:
Phone (commercial): 757-440-6315
Phone (DSN): 564-3310
Phone (toll free): 888-897-8217

Personally procured move
To submit or check status on a PPM, contact:
Phone (commercial): 888-742-4467

Supplemental policies
Consult the Transportation of Personal Property, NAVSUP Publication 490, Rev. 6 for more detailed PCS information.

Coast Guard PCS Moving Assistance

Coast Guard Yeoman assists family

Use the following information to help with your Coast Guard PCS move.

Personally Procured Move, or PPM, reimbursement

Updated: March 2020

Please direct any questions you may have regarding your PPM to the Finance Center Customer Service Team at 757-523-6940. Our hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. For web inquiries, which are highly recommended, go to the Coast Guard Payment Status Inquiry webpage. For more information, visit the Coast Guard PPM webpage.

Submit PPM claims to the following mailing address:
USCG Finance Center
P.O. Box 4102
Chesapeake, VA 23327-4102

Retirement household goods shipment request for extension

Updated: March 2020

Retired U.S. Coast Guard members’ requests for extension of the time limitation for shipment of household goods, or HHG, must be approved by the Military Pay and Compensation Division, or CG-1332. A request for an extension must be received no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date of the one year time limit. Members must provide a signed copy of their orders, supporting documents and their mailing address. The information can be emailed to or mailed to:

Commandant (CG-1332)
Attn: Travel and Transportation Division
United States Coast Guard
2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. S.E., Stop 7907
Washington, D.C. 20593-7907
United States

For more information, view the Retired Coast Guard Shipping Extension Request PDF.

Customer service information

Coast Guard Customer Service

For entitlements, exceptions to policy and general information, contact:



Phone (commercial): 757-523-6940

Retirement/Separation HHG Extensions


Mailing address:

Commandant (CG-1332)
Attn: Travel and Transportation Division
United States Coast Guard
2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. S.E., Stop 7907
Washington, D.C. 20593-7907
United States

Supplemental Policies

Coast Guard Personally Procured Move Policy

Education Directory for Children With Special Needs

Father reading to son

The Education Directory for Children With Special Needs is a web-based tool that helps military families with special needs make informed decisions about education and early intervention services available on or near installations within the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

The directory has two components:

Both sections of the directory offer the following information (specific to the needs of each age group):

  • Services, contacts and resources each state offers
  • Profiles and contacts for service providers and school districts
  • Links to tools for a smooth transition
  • Links to national trends and resources
  • Definitions of related terms

Use the Education Directory for Children With Special Needs to help you prepare for the services your family needs.

Travel Restrictions Ease, but May Vary by Location

Three men with face masks watch temperature check on service member

Current as of April 21, 2021

The Department of Defense is reviewing local conditions by place to determine personnel movement and travel as the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic continues. This replaces previous broad restrictions until further notice. This is part of the department’s measures to preserve force readiness, limit the spread of COVID-19 and protect lives during the global outbreak.

Four main factors determine when unrestricted travel can resume:

  • Removal of local travel restrictions
  • Availability of essential services (schools, childcare, moving services)
  • Quality control/assurance capability for household goods packing and moving
  • Favorable health protection conditions

Things could change in some areas and not in others, depending on conditions. DOD installations, facilities and locations with more than 1,000 permanent personnel will provide weekly status updates on travel restrictions which will be posted to

For areas where previous restrictions remain in place, here are the answers to some questions you might have.

Exceptions to the travel restrictions

Check with your supervisor before traveling. Currently, travel is allowed for:

  • Travel associated with uniformed personnel recruiting and accessions activities including accessions, basic training, advanced military individual training and follow-on travel to the first duty station
  • All Global Force Management scheduled deployments and redeployments
  • Service members whose temporary duty ends while travel restrictions are in effect and are returning home
  • Authorized travelers who departed their permanent duty station, are awaiting transportation and have already initiated travel (including intermediate stops)
  • Service members and their families who must travel for medical treatment
  • Medical providers who must travel to treat military personnel or their families
  • Scheduled deployments/redeployments of U.S. Navy vessels and embarked units that are in transit for 14 days and meet restriction-of-movement requirements for current force health-protection guidance
  • Service members who are retiring or separating from duty while travel restrictions are in place
  • Travel by those under the authority of a chief of mission and authorized by that chief of mission
  • Travel from locations where the Department of State has issued an ordered departure
  • Return travel from safe havens when the Department of State has terminated an ordered or authorized departure
  • Travel to and from professional military education programs
  • Travel associated with formal, entry-level civilian accession programs, such as government-funded internships and fellowships
  • Travel by civilian employees complying with overseas tour rotation agreement requirements
  • Leave travel for DOD service members.

Exemptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis for travel that is:

  • Essential to the mission
  • Necessary for humanitarian reasons
  • Warranted due to extreme hardship

The appropriate leader, supervisor and medical personnel will complete a risk assessment before travel is authorized. The risk assessment will:

  • Ensure the traveler hasn’t been exposed to or exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the previous 14 days.
  • Ensure the traveler is not at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
  • Establish that the service member knows what to do if they develop symptoms of or test positive for COVID-19.

Here’s what the restrictions may mean for you and what steps you can take if you are currently preparing for, or are currently in the process of, a permanent change of station:

  • You are just about to PCS: Contact your chain of command.
  • Your belongings are packed and you have moved out of your residence but your travel is on hold: Contact your chain of command right away to receive information about entitlements, such as lodging, that may apply to you and your situation. The services also have relief societies that may be able to provide some emergency support.
  • The moving company has already picked up your shipment: Contact your shipping office to check the status of your shipment. It may be in storage in your local area, on its way to your destination or in storage there. To find contact information for your Household Goods/Transportation Office, visit the MilitaryINSTALLATIONS website, an online information directory for military installations worldwide. You can search for information by installation, program or service, or by state.
  • You have confirmed that the travel restrictions impact your PCS, but already submitted your movement request to your personal property office:
    • If your shipment does not have a moving company award, it will be put in a hold status pending further guidance — such as the end of the travel restrictions or approval from your chain of command to continue.
    • If your shipment does have a moving company award and pack-out or pick-up dates have been scheduled, your moving company will contact you about postponing those dates.
  • Your lease is expiring or you have already sold your home: Contact your chain of command and personal property office. The travel restrictions provide flexibility to allow pack-outs and pick-ups to continue and household goods to put into storage locally.
  • You have an appointment coming up at the Vehicle Processing Center: If you don’t know whether the travel restrictions apply to you, contact your chain of command. If the travel restrictions do not apply to your PCS or your chain of command has approved an exception, keep your Vehicle Processing Center appointment.
  • You have already dropped off your vehicle, but your PCS now has a delay: If you would like to pick up your vehicle, contact the Vehicle Processing Center. Staff can help you make an appointment, retrieve your vehicle and answer questions. For more information on your personal vehicle, visit
  • You have other questions about your personal property shipment:

Travel Restrictions & PCS

If you entered into a rental or purchase agreement at your new duty station but are unable to PCS due to travel restrictions, you still have options.


Travel restrictions may affect Basic Allowance for Housing entitlements

Travel restrictions may impact your PCS and your eligibility for BAH in one of the following ways:

  • If you’ve moved, but your dependents had to stay behind, you may be eligible for BAH with-dependents at the old location and Family Separation Housing allowance at the new location.
  • If your dependents have moved but you had to stay behind, you are entitled to BAH at the old or new duty station, whichever is more equitable, but not both.
  • If you have not yet started your PCS, you will be eligible for BAH at only the old location.

If the travel restrictions are affecting you and your family in one of the ways listed above, you may do the following:

  • Contact your personnel or housing office and the gaining command to see if there are any options for temporary lodging.
  • Check with your housing provider to see if your lease or purchase agreement can be delayed.
  • Check to see if you may be exempt from the travel restrictions or if you could receive a hardship exception to proceed with the PCS.
  • Ask your legal office if you have options under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and the rental/purchase contract’s military clause, which may permit you to cancel the contract.

You may also keep up with ongoing changes to travel and housing policy due to COVID-19 at the Defense Travel and Housing Policy website.

Travel restrictions may affect your pays

Special or incentive pay(s): If you receive special or incentive pay(s) that require performance of specific duties, such as Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay, Aviation Incentive Pay, etc., and are unable to perform those duties due to COVID-19 restrictions, you should know that the assistant secretary of defense for Manpower and Reserve Affairs recently announced that the service secretary can waive those performance requirements. This means that you can continue to receive these special and incentive pays during this emergency period.

You can speak to your chain of command to find out if you qualify.

Hardship Duty Pay-Restriction of Movement: The Department of Defense has newly authorized HDP-ROM in response to the COVID-19 emergency. If you are ordered to self-monitor somewhere other than your home and are not on official travel orders, you could be eligible for this pay. Contact your chain of command to find out if you qualify for this pay.

If you are eligible for this pay, you can receive up to $100 per day and $1,500 a month to compensate you for the hardship of having to pay out of pocket for lodging while in isolation. You must be paying to stay somewhere other than your own residence, a government lodging facility or a hotel that is paid for by the government. This pay is intended to defray the hardship incurred when service members have to pay out of their own pocket, without reimbursement, for lodging due to orders from their command to self-isolate.

Understanding of COVID-19 continues to change, so continue to check our Coronavirus Updates for Our Military Community page for updates.

Want to find the phone number for your installation’s housing office or Military and Family Support Center? Find those and more on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, an online information directory for military installations worldwide.

For updates and information specific to your location, visit your installation’s official website. You can also follow your installation’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram platforms. For Department of Defense updates for the military community:

Helping Your Children Change Schools

Young student wearing mask in class

Frequent moving to new duty stations is fact of military life, and your child will be asked to respond to the routines and demands of military life as well. Being prepared to help your school-age children change schools can go a long way to helping them adjust to their new environment in healthy ways. Parent preparation can mean a smooth school move for your children from one school system to the next.

When making moves within the continental United States, the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children addresses educational transition issues of military families. Adopted by all states and the District of Columbia, the Interstate Compact replaces varying individual state education policies that affect transitioning military dependent children and supports uniform treatment for these students as they transfer between school districts and states. The Interstate Compact covers all schools, including Department of Defense Education Activity, or DODEA, schools.

Your school liaison can assist with your child’s school transition.

School liaisons are your primary point of contact for all school-related matters, especially a school transition. The school liaison at your current installation can connect you to your new installation school liaison who will help smooth the transition to your child’s new school. Let your school liaison help you and your family navigate school selection and youth sponsorship during this time of change.

The Interstate Compact addresses educational transition issues of military families such as eligibility, enrollment, placement and graduation, making it easier for military children to enroll in needed classes, play sports and graduate on time. Here are some of the ways states are helping you make a smooth move for your children.

Immediate enrollment

When leaving your school district, you can get unofficial records to carry to your new school. Your student will be able to enroll without delay, even before the official transcript arrives. If your child needs additional immunizations, you can enroll and take care of these requirements within 30 days.

Placement and attendance support

Your children will be placed in appropriate required classes, advanced placement and special-needs programs while awaiting evaluation at their new school. That means your child won’t be put in a “holding class” while your new school is taking the time to assess him or her. The interstate compact also enables a student to miss school for military-related reasons or to request excused absences before, during or after a deployment.

Special education services

If your student is covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, federal law protects your child’s right to receive the same services identified in his or her existing individual education program, or IEP. The receiving school may perform subsequent evaluations to ensure appropriate placement.

Extracurricular participation

If your child is eligible, the new school will facilitate participation in extracurricular activities even if application deadlines or tryouts have passed.


Rest assured that your high schooler’s graduation will not be affected. Here are some examples of how the Interstate Compact assists with checking off graduation requirements:

  • Course waivers: If your child has already completed similar coursework, the new school shall waive courses required for graduation.
  • Exit exams: The new school district shall accept your child’s exit exams and achievement tests required to graduate from his or her previous school.
  • Senior-year transfers: If your student changes school during their senior year, the two school districts will work together to get a diploma from the former school to ensure on-time graduation.

School liaisons

School liaisons are located at every installation and are especially helpful in dealing with your school transition issues. This local resource has well-established relationships with school administrators, district officials and state departments of education and can help with your transition needs. School liaisons understand the military experience and are here to help with your child’s move to a new school. Contact the school liaison at your acquiring installation for help with:

  • School options and programs
  • School and community information nearby
  • Compliance with the Interstate Compact
  • Youth programs inside and outside of school

You can also call Military OneSource to connect to an education consultant for help with everything from tutors to tuition. Don’t wait until the move occurs. Call 800-342-9647 or set up a live chat today. OCONUS/International? View calling options.

Making the Move Easier for Military Children

Children in new home with moving boxes

Moving with children can be a little like assembling a jigsaw puzzle. A little perspective and patience is needed for you to fit all the pieces together, as well as allowing plenty of time for transition and adjustment. Here are a few tips to make your next move a smooth one for your children – and you.

Your school liaison can assist with your child’s school transition.

School liaisons are your primary point of contact for all school-related matters, especially a school transition. The school liaison at your current installation can connect you to your new installation school liaison who will help smooth the transition to your child’s new school. Let your school liaison help you and your family navigate school selection and youth sponsorship during this time of change.

  • Tell your children about the move as soon as possible. Give your children plenty of time to adjust to the idea of moving and say goodbye to all their friends.
  • Give your children space and answers. They may also have a lot of questions, so listen patiently and answer as best you can. Help your children research their new school, nearby parks and installation activities. The adjustment — for you and your children — will take time.
  • Give your children a task. Depending on the age of your children, there are many ways to help. Older youth might be able to help plan portions of the move, such as searching for new houses online or researching fun things to do on the new installation. Younger children can help by packing their own “first day box.”
  • Reassure your children. Let them know they’ll have a new home address, but the important things in life — like how much you love each other — won’t change. Your children take their cues from you. Stay positive and make the move fun to help them feel involved and excited.
  • Enjoy your family’s favorite things and places. Before you go, make a point to visit the park, the frozen yogurt shop or another favorite place. You might take something from one of those places to the new house and encourage your child to find a new favorite spot.
  • Make a plan to experience something new in your future home. You can acknowledge the sadness of leaving friends and routine while at the same time engage your children in the excitement of change. Use a map or globe to show your children where you’re headed and begin researching and exploring the different and unique places geographically near your new home.
  • Help your children connect to others who have gone through similar experiences. A great resource for school-aged children, Military Kids Connect can link your children to other children who share the military lifestyle, including the upheaval and excitement of moving.
  • Prepare for your move and anticipate your child’s needs and concerns. Planning ahead is key to a smooth move. Visit the Military OneSource Plan My Move page to create a personalized checklist. Keep your tasks in one convenient location, organized by topic or timeline. Whether its locating a new school, securing new housing or preparing financially for the move, the Plan My Move checklist will help ensure you won’t forget a thing, including EFMP & Me assistance at your new installation.
  • Select your child’s next school with assistance from your local school liaison. As soon as you receive your move orders, reach out to your local school liaison. Your local school liaison can help you prepare for your child’s new school by connecting you with the school liaison at your new installation who will help you:
    • Determine which school options and programs are a good fit for your child. From magnet programs to sports teams, school liaisons know the local education landscape. They will take the time to understand your child’s academic, extra-curricular and social needs and wants and make school recommendations accordingly. Whether your child needs a school culture with a strong art, orchestra or sports program, your school liaison can help you identify available school options so that your child can feel at home faster in his or her new environment.
    • Choose housing near a school that is a good fit for your child. Once you identify the right combination of academic and social factors that are important for your family, your school liaison can help orient you to your new geographical area. Your school liaisons are familiar with the zones that map to the schools and youth programs your family desires.
    • Connect to youth programs outside of schools. Every installation has unique partnerships for children, youth and teens in the military and civilian communities. School liaisons know what is happening on and off base and can help your child, youth or teen connect to child care and extracurricular activities, such as youth sponsorship programs. Through a youth sponsorship program, your child or teen can be paired with a peer at your new location and even correspond with him or her before arrival at the new installation. Be sure to check out Mission: Youth Outreach through Boys & Girls Clubs of America as well, which provides free membership to local civilian BGCA clubs when an installation youth center is too far away. For more information about youth programs available to your child, contact your local school liaison.
  • Take the time and space you need to be in control of your move.  Rested and organized parents create a calmer home environment for children amidst the change and disruption of a move. Reach out for child care assistance so that you and your spouse can stay on top of your move and accomplish the necessary tasks. Expanded hourly child care options are available to help you carve out time and space to handle your move details.

Moving is part of military life. The more you talk about your new home ahead of time, the easier the relocation will be for your children — and you. Let Military OneSource help you take care of your family and your move, one step at a time.