Travel Restrictions Ease, but May Vary by Location

People with suitcases going into airport

Current as of Nov. 19, 2020

The Department of Defense is reviewing local conditions by place to determine personnel movement and travel as the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic continues. This replaces previous broad restrictions until further notice. This is part of the department’s measures to preserve force readiness, limit the spread of COVID-19 and protect lives during the global outbreak.

Two main factors determine when unrestricted travel can resume:

Things could change in some areas and not in others, depending on conditions. Because conditions and understanding of COVID-19 are rapidly changing, continue to check our Coronavirus Updates for Our Military Community page for updates. Visit the Military OneSource homepage for a weekly status update on installation travel restrictions.

For areas where previous restrictions remain in place, here are the answers to some questions you might have.

Exceptions to the travel restrictions

Check with your supervisor before traveling. Currently, travel is allowed for:

  • All Global Force Management scheduled deployments and redeployments
  • Service members whose temporary duty ends while travel restrictions are in effect and are returning home
  • Authorized travelers who departed their permanent duty station, are awaiting transportation and have already initiated travel (including intermediate stops)
  • Service members and their families who must travel for medical treatment
  • Medical providers who must travel to treat military personnel or their families
  • Scheduled deployments/redeployments of U.S. Navy vessels and embarked units that are in transit for 14 days and meet restriction-of-movement requirements for current force health-protection guidance
  • Service members who are retiring or separating from duty while travel restrictions are in place

Exemptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis for travel that is:

  • Essential to the mission
  • Necessary for humanitarian reasons
  • Warranted due to extreme hardship

Here’s what the restrictions may mean for you and what steps you can take if you are currently preparing for, or are currently in the process of, a permanent change of station:

  • You are just about to PCS: Contact your chain of command.
  • Your belongings are packed and you have moved out of your residence but your travel is on hold: Contact your chain of command right away to receive information about entitlements, such as lodging, that may apply to you and your situation. The services also have relief societies that may be able to provide some emergency support.
  • The moving company has already picked up your shipment: Contact your shipping office to check the status of your shipment. It may be in storage in your local area, on its way to your destination or in storage there. To find contact information for your Household Goods/Transportation Office, visit the MilitaryINSTALLATIONS website, an online information directory for military installations worldwide. You can search for information by installation, program or service, or by state.
  • You have confirmed that the travel restrictions impact your PCS, but already submitted your movement request to your personal property office:
    • If your shipment does not have a moving company award, it will be put in a hold status pending further guidance — such as the end of the travel restrictions or approval from your chain of command to continue.
    • If your shipment does have a moving company award and pack-out or pick-up dates have been scheduled, your moving company will contact you about postponing those dates.
  • Your lease is expiring or you have already sold your home: Contact your chain of command and personal property office. The travel restrictions provide flexibility to allow pack-outs and pick-ups to continue and household goods to put into storage locally.
  • You have an appointment coming up at the Vehicle Processing Center: If you don’t know whether the travel restrictions apply to you, contact your chain of command. If the travel restrictions do not apply to your PCS or your chain of command has approved an exception, keep your Vehicle Processing Center appointment.
  • You have already dropped off your vehicle, but your PCS now has a delay: If you would like to pick up your vehicle, contact the Vehicle Processing Center. Staff can help you make an appointment, retrieve your vehicle and answer questions. For more information on your personal vehicle, visit
  • You have other questions about your personal property shipment:

Travel Restrictions & PCS

If you entered into a rental or purchase agreement at your new duty station but are unable to PCS due to travel restrictions, you still have options.


Travel restrictions may affect Basic Allowance for Housing entitlements

Travel restrictions may impact your PCS and your eligibility for BAH in one of the following ways:

  • If you’ve moved, but your dependents had to stay behind, you may be eligible for BAH with-dependents at the old location and Family Separation Housing allowance at the new location.
  • If your dependents have moved but you had to stay behind, you are entitled to BAH at the old or new duty station, whichever is more equitable, but not both.
  • If you have not yet started your PCS, you will be eligible for BAH at only the old location.

If the travel restrictions are affecting you and your family in one of the ways listed above, you may do the following:

  • Contact your personnel or housing office and the gaining command to see if there are any options for temporary lodging.
  • Check with your housing provider to see if your lease or purchase agreement can be delayed.
  • Check to see if you may be exempt from the travel restrictions or if you could receive a hardship exception to proceed with the PCS.
  • Ask your legal office if you have options under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and the rental/purchase contract’s military clause, which may permit you to cancel the contract.

You may also keep up with ongoing changes to travel and housing policy due to COVID-19 at the Defense Travel and Housing Policy website.

Travel restrictions may affect your pays

Special or incentive pay(s): If you receive special or incentive pay(s) that require performance of specific duties, such as Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay, Aviation Incentive Pay, etc., and are unable to perform those duties due to COVID-19 restrictions, you should know that the assistant secretary of defense for Manpower and Reserve Affairs recently announced that the service secretary can waive those performance requirements. This means that you can continue to receive these special and incentive pays during this emergency period.

You can speak to your chain of command to find out if you qualify.

Hardship Duty Pay-Restriction of Movement: The Department of Defense has newly authorized HDP-ROM in response to the COVID-19 emergency. If you are ordered to self-monitor somewhere other than your home and are not on official travel orders, you could be eligible for this pay. Contact your chain of command to find out if you qualify for this pay.

If you are eligible for this pay, you can receive up to $100 per day and $1,500 a month to compensate you for the hardship of having to pay out of pocket for lodging while in isolation. You must be paying to stay somewhere other than your own residence, a government lodging facility or a hotel that is paid for by the government. This pay is intended to defray the hardship incurred when service members have to pay out of their own pocket, without reimbursement, for lodging due to orders from their command to self-isolate.

Understanding of COVID-19 continues to change, so continue to check our Coronavirus Updates for Our Military Community page for updates.

Want to find the phone number for your installation’s housing office or Military and Family Support Center? Find those and more on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, an online information directory for military installations worldwide.

For updates and information specific to your location, visit your installation’s official website. You can also follow your installation’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram platforms. For Department of Defense updates for the military community:


PCS and Taxes: Deducting Military Moving Expenses

Man moving boxes

Service members who move due to a permanent-change-of-station move may be eligible to deduct some of their unreimbursed moving expenses from their federal income tax returns. Most moving costs are covered by military allowances, so you’ll want to save your receipts and log your expenses to calculate any possible deduction at the end of the tax year.

Check out IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses for examples and more details.

Who is eligible?

The only people who can deduct moving expenses are active-duty military members who relocated due to PCS orders or, in some cases, their unaccompanied family members. These include orders to a first duty station and orders when separating or retiring from military service.

Free MilTax Services

MilTax’s tax preparation and e-filing software is available mid-January through mid-October. And MilTax consultants are available year-round to help with tax questions.

What expenses can be deducted?

In general, you can deduct unreimbursed expenses directly related to the moving and storage of your household goods, and your travel from your old location to the new one. This includes expenses for the taxpayer and any member of their household.

Qualifying military moving expenses fall into two groups:

Moving household goods and personal effects:

  • Packing materials
  • Shipping vehicles
  • The cost of moving your household goods, whether by car, container or contracted moving
  • Transporting pets

Reasonable travel and lodging expenses:

  • The cost of one night’s lodging at your old location if your furniture has been moved
  • The cost of the first night’s lodging in your new location
  • The costs of stopping and starting essential utilities
  • The cost of moving household goods from another location, up to the cost of moving them from your old location
  • In some cases, storage fees

To be a “reasonable” expense, the route you take, for example, must be the shortest, most direct route available from your previous home to your new one.

What expenses cannot be deducted?

The following items are not deductible:

  • Meals
  • Temporary lodging after the first night that you arrive at your new location
  • Vehicle registration
  • Driver’s licenses
  • Any cost of purchasing or renting a new home
  • Other expenses for stopovers, side trips or pre-move-house hunting expenses

How to report deductible expenses

Deductible moving expenses are reported on IRS Form 3903, and any deduction on that form is reported on your regular federal income tax return.


Many moving expenses are fully or partially covered by military allowances. You cannot claim any expenses paid for by the military, whether paid directly or reimbursed. For example, you cannot deduct mileage and lodging that was reimbursed under the military’s Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation, typically called mileage, or the PCS Per Diem rates.

Military OneSource offers free tax assistance through the MilTax suite of services, including tax preparation and filing software and telephone consultations with a tax professional. Contact a Military OneSource MilTax consultant for free at 800-342-9647. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options. Or live chat to schedule a free consultation with a MilTax consultant or a financial counselor.

Plan My Move: Great PCS Moving Checklists & More

Woman packs moving box

If you’ve received new orders, it’s time to fire up a powerful tool that can help you take charge and master your move. Plan My Move is a Department of Defense online tool that simplifies the moving process, breaking it down into clear, manageable steps for both experienced and first-time movers, as well as family members and loved ones.

Plan My Move helps you create personalized moving checklists, and offers tips about housing, transportation, finances and more. This online tool puts you and your family in charge of a smooth relocation to your new duty station.

Personalized moving task lists and tips

Plan My Move is easy to use. Simply answer a few questions and the tool creates lists tailored to your unique needs. As you provide more details about your upcoming move, your checklists will become more detailed as well. New features enable you to:

  • Choose whether to view your tasks by topic, or in a chronological timeline
  • Edit checklist items
  • Add checklist items
  • Rearrange the order of checklist items with drag and drop
  • Revisit and continue previously saved checklists(s)
  • Save your checklist in a variety of formats

Need more info about your new duty station?

The MilitaryINSTALLATIONS website is your one-stop shop for information on DOD installations worldwide, for all service branches. Check out how easy it is to find resources and contacts for your current installation, or for the one where you’re being reassigned. You can:

  • Search a directory of installations and services, complete with websites, maps, program offices, phone numbers and email addresses.
  • Create your own downloadable personalized installation booklet with the information you are most interested in, such as check-in procedures, housing, child and youth programs, transportation and more.
  • Eligible users can log in to get local community information about schools, amenities and home values.

Want to talk to a live person?

Military OneSource can help answer questions about allowances and benefits, COVID-19 travel restrictions, housing, schools, spouse employment and more. Consultants are available 24/7/365. Call 800-342-9647, use OCONUS dialing options, or start a live chat.

In addition to Military OneSource, your installation Relocation Assistance Program can also help you plan for a successful move. Learn how to put the military Relocation Assistance Program to work for you.

Tap into all the available relocation resources and master your next move.

Supporting Your Service Member and Their Family Before a Military Move

child playing in moving box

Service members move every few years in what is called a permanent change of station or in short a PCS. After PCSing a few times, military families tend to become pros at moving. But even those who have relocated many times can feel overwhelmed when those official military PCS orders arrive.

Your support can go a long way in easing the stress of a military move. Even if you live too far away to watch the kids or pitch in with the packing, there are ways you can make it easier for your loved ones to prepare for a PCS.

Everything you need to know about PCS

Military moves are different than moving as a civilian. Learn the ins and outs of a PCS so you will understand your service member’s experience.

Your service member has two options for a PCS move, but can do a mix of both:

  • A household goods move, in which the government provides a moving company to pack and transport all household goods.
  • A personally procured move, in which service members hire their own moving company or pack up and transport all household goods themselves. The government will pay your service member 95% of their cost to hire a moving company. A PPM move is allowed only within the continental United States.

Your service member will receive a PCS notification before orders arrive, but will not be able to schedule the move until orders are in hand. Military families may feel in limbo during the time in between because plans are always subject to change. So, while your service member and their family may look at schools and homes in the new location, they shouldn’t make any commitments until orders arrive.

There are other differences between military and civilian moves, including:

  • There is a weight limit on household and other goods that may be moved to the new location at government cost. The weight limit increases with rank and number of dependents. For example, a single service member at the rank of E-1 may transport up to 5,000 pounds of household goods. They are allowed another 2,000 pounds for their work-related equipment and vehicle. At the high end of the scale, an officer at the rank of O-7 with dependents can ship up to 18,000 pounds of household goods plus 2,000 pounds of work-related equipment and a personal vehicle.
  • The cost to transport a pet is not covered. However, your service member may be reimbursed for some or all of the cost of quarantine in countries where that is mandatory.

Helping your service member prepare for a PCS

Ask your service member and their family how you can help them. If they don’t have specific suggestions, here are some ways you can ease their pressure and lift their spirits as they prepare to PCS.

  • Be a sympathetic ear to your loved one. When frustrations or fears build up, having someone to vent to can be a big relief. Talking through problems can also lead to solutions.
  • Become familiar with the new duty station so you will have some knowledge of the area before your service member arrives. You can find information on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
  • Encourage your loved ones to stay positive and to connect with their installation Relocation Assistance Program, where they can receive an array of services to assist with their move.
  • Put together a playlist of songs or podcasts if your loved ones will be traveling a long distance to the new duty station.
  • Create a photo album of your service member’s time at their duty station. Fill it with pictures of friends, important places and memorable experiences.

If you live close by:

  • Provide a few meals along with disposable dinnerware and containers. You might also organize a meal train where friends and neighbors take turns bringing meals. Not having to worry about making dinner can be a huge relief in the midst of packing – particularly when cookware is already boxed up.
  • Lend an inflatable mattress and linens to your service member and their family if they will be staying behind a night or two after the movers pick up their furniture.
  • Pitch in to help clean the home after it’s emptied out for the move.
  • Watch your service member’s children or pets on moving day.

If you live far away:

  • Arrange for meal delivery from a local restaurant or takeout place on a night when you know your service member will be busy packing.
  • Give a gift of a cleaning service to deep clean the home after everything is moved out.
  • Send a gift box of activities for the trip.

Resources for a smooth move

There are a variety of resources to help make military moves as easy and safe as possible. Pass these along to your loved ones if they’re not aware of them.

  • is the Department of Defense customer moving portal. Your service member can register as soon as the PCS orders arrive.
  • Plan My Move is an online tool that helps military families create personalized moving checklists, offers tips about housing, transportation, finances and more.
  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS is where you can find information about each military installation, the surrounding community and more. Your service member can also create a customized installation booklet with key resources and installation information.
  • lists housing near military installations.

No matter how you support your loved one, the important thing is that they know you are there for them. Text messages, letters or emails from you will remind them that they’re not alone, no matter where they are.

Special Education and Child Care – The Essentials

Child with Special Needs Playing

It takes a lot of involvement to make sure a family member with special needs gets the right education and care. It also requires good communication with child care providers and school administrators and teachers. How can you make sure special education or child care is working for you and your child? Here are some essentials:

Learn about child care options.

You want to find the right care for your child with special needs. The military offers quality, affordable child care with options both on installation and off. We can help you find the best fit for your child and your family. Find out more with EFMP & Me or with these resources:

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

  • This site streamlines your child care search. It lets you access options and make informed decisions about your child’s care.
  • Military Respite Care. This offers fee assistance to eligible military families through the individual service programs. It also offers a child care search as well as information on resources for military spouses who provide child care.
  • Education Directory for Children With Special Needs. This gives you information to help with assignment decisions and less stressful transitions.
  • EFMP & Me. This tool provides information and resources tailored to your needs, including a child care checklist. It’s online and available 24/7. A must-use tool for every military family with special needs members.

Find information and tips to support you – download the Special Needs Parent Tool Kit

This toolkit from the Department of Defense provides information for you and your child with special needs. Learn about early intervention services and find help during relocation. Understand educational rights granted by the Americans with Disabilities Act and much more.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Create your education roadmap. Get an Individual Education Program.

The first step in any special education plan is developing an Individual Education Program, or IEP. After an evaluation, an IEP becomes a roadmap you can take with you. It lays out the instruction and services to help your child succeed. The sooner you get started, the better.

Make sure your child’s IEP stays current. When you move, give a copy of the IEP to your child’s new school. Work hand-in-hand with the school to support your child’s transition and to implement the IEP. The new school’s services may not look exactly like their previous school. However, they are required to provide comparable services.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 or live chat to schedule an appointment with a special needs consultant. Appointments are available seven days a week.


Family boogie boarding at beach

Managing the care and services for a family member with special needs is more manageable with the right support. The goal of the Exceptional Family Member Program is to help your military family with special needs thrive in military life. EFMP is more than just one program or connection point. It’s the work of three components: identification and enrollment, assignment coordination and family support. The resources, tools and services that are available to support your journey are organized as part of the EFMP Resources, Options and Consultations, or EFMP ROC. 

If your spouse, child or other dependent family member is in need of ongoing medical or educational services, your first step is to enroll them in the Exceptional Family Member Program. Enrollment is mandatory but once enrolled, you will have access to the services, support and information you need to become your family’s best advocate.

Find out about identification and enrollment in the Exceptional Family Member Program.

As part of the EFMP Identification and Enrollment Service, medical services will work with you to coordinate identification and enrollment in the EFMP. EFMP office staff on your installation can also provide support during the enrollment process. Eligibility for the TRICARE Extended Health Care Option is also reviewed during the enrollment process.

Learn more about the program and what it provides.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Contact the Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support office.

To learn more about enrollment and services, reach out to your local Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support center. There is one on every installation. Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support providers play a critical role in helping your family navigate identification and enrollment and assignment coordination. The program connects you with the resources, expert consultation, education and community support you need so you can be your family’s best advocate.

Get access to services and support in the manner that works best for your family. EFMP Family Support services include:

  • Face-to-face meetings with experts on your installation

  • Virtual specialty consultations and TRICARE liaison support

  • Online information and resources on Military OneSource

  • A new digital tool – EFMP & Me – to help families directly access resources tailored to their needs

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Plan ahead for your next assignment.

Enrollment in the Exceptional Family Member Program comes with advantages for military families. Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support providers offer information and referrals, and assist families as they navigate needed medical and educational services at their present, as well as new duty stations. While the military mission is the driving force behind the assignment process, enrollment in the Exceptional Family Member Program ensures that your family member’s special needs are considered during the assignment coordination process.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

The Exceptional Family Member Program strives to continually enhance services and better communicate with service members and families with special needs. The program is committed to improving the experience of families and making sure their family member’s special needs are always considered.

Managing Your Career as a Military Spouse During a PCS

Work group at table

You’re beginning a new chapter of your military life. As a military spouse, a successful transition may include finding meaningful work at your new duty station. By tapping into your network of support and accessing a variety of programs and resources, you can continue to advance your career while building a new nest. Here are some strategies to help manage your career during a PCS.

Maximize your resources to help land military spouse employment

Take advantage of all the tools and services available to you to advance your career through location-based, telework or other flexible arrangements. They will empower you with the information and connections you need to continue your career wherever you land.

  • The Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, or SECO, program provides education and career guidance to military spouses worldwide, offering comprehensive resources and tools related to career development, education guidance and employment opportunities. The MySECO website can help you whether you are new to the workforce, advancing your education or established and looking to grow in your career. Check out the My Individual Career Plan, the SECO Scholarship Finder, specialized career coaching packages and self-assessments to help you discover your education or professional strengths.
  • The Military Spouse Employment Partnership, or MSEP, connects military spouses with hundreds of partner employers who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses in portable careers. Use the MSEP Job Search to find thousands of job postings in your current or new location, including Hot Jobs, positions that need to be filled immediately.
  • Installation spouse employment readiness specialists, accessed through the Military and Family Support Center on your installation or through your service branch, offer hands-on assistance with everything from resume writing and preparing for interviews to resources for portable careers. Most employment installation readiness programs offer workshops, host hiring fairs and partner with local community-based agencies to help spouses and family members find employment.

Update your resume and prepare a list of references

It’s never too early to update or enhance your resume. Designed specifically for military spouses, the MySECO Resume Builder helps you create a resume customized for the position you are seeking. You’ll also want to prepare a list of references who can speak to your accomplishments and skills.

Take advantage of the Military Spouse Preference Program

As a military spouse who is relocating, you get preference when you apply for a Department of Defense civilian job thanks to the Military Spouse Preference program. You can apply for spouse preference for Appropriated Fund and Non-Appropriated Fund federal jobs as early as 30 days before your spouse’s reporting date. Appropriated Fund vacancies are filled on military installations. Spouse preference is available for these positions at pay grades up to GS-15. Regulations are different for spouse preference outside the United States.

Connect with a SECO career coach

Consider connecting with a SECO career coach as you prepare for a move or after you’ve landed at your new location. Career coaches assist military spouses by providing useful resources for managing a career during a PCS, including help with finding education opportunities that fit mobile life, maximizing job search efforts, building your network and exploring portable career options.

Transfer licenses and credentials

If you’re in a job that requires a license or credential, either by state or a national accreditation, you’ll need to transfer your license or credential. Go to the Spouse Licensure Map to find out which states require which types of licenses or credentials and what office you need to contact to transfer them. The state licensing and career credentials initiative is designed to make it easier to transition your credentials to a new state.

If you move due to a permanent change of station, and you pursue the same licensure or certification in your new location, you can apply for up to $1,000 in reimbursement of relicensure or certification fees from your service branch.

Build your network to find opportunities and support your peers

Networking leads to 70 percent of all jobs and is key for managing a career during a PCS. Here are a few places to begin:

  • Join the MSEP Spouse Group on LinkedIn to connect with hiring managers and human resources professionals from the organizations in the partnership, as well as other military spouses.
  • Check out the Spouse Ambassador Network, a group of MSEP organizations that promotes military spouses in communities where they live.
  • Connect with a mentor through mentoring organizations, like the Military Spouse eMentor Program, to find an experienced professional who can offer you guidance and help establish connections.

Explore portable career and temporary work

Portable careers can be ideal for the military spouse life. Explore different portable career paths, learn about opportunities to take your job with you (streaming YouTube is currently blocked from DOD networks), read tips on telecommuting, and use the MSEP Job Search to find telework positions. Develop transferrable skills that make any job portable.

Temporary work can be great for earning some extra savings, gaining experience in your field and exploring different career opportunities. MSEP partner staffing agencies hire military spouses for a variety of jobs, from entry-level to positions requiring a license or advanced degree.

Military spouses are adaptable, resilient and flexible. Employers want to hire you no matter where you land. Use these resources to seize the adventure of your PCS while advancing your career.

How to Get Home Delivery for Medications Under TRICARE

Woman with prescription pills in her hand

Current as of August 11, 2020

As part of its coronavirus disease 2019 guidance, the federal government recommends having a supply of all necessary medications on hand. For members of the military community, TRICARE offers a convenient option of getting a 90-day supply of your prescriptions through TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery.

TRICARE offers options of getting a 90-day supply of your prescriptions at military pharmacies, through its home delivery program or at a retail pharmacy. Home delivery is available all the time and is a seamless way to ensure you always have your medications.

Home delivery of your medicines can help keep you protected during the COVID-19 pandemic.

TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery

When switching to TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery, first check if you or your family members have refills remaining on any needed prescriptions. Each prescription bottle indicates the number of refills remaining. If there are no refills left, call your healthcare provider.

If enough refills remain, you can get a 90-day supply through TRICARE’s pharmacy options.

Costs for home delivery

Military pharmacies offer a 90-day supply of medications at no cost to beneficiaries. Home delivery is the next most affordable option. Getting your medicine at a retail network pharmacy is the least affordable option, because you pay three copays to order three 30-day supplies at once.

Active-duty service members have a $0 copay for a 90-day supply of covered drugs at any pharmacy. All other TRICARE beneficiaries pay the following:

  • $0 copay for generic and brand-name covered drugs at military pharmacies

  • $11 copay for generic and brand-name covered drugs through TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery

  • $39 (three 30-day $13 copays) for generic drugs and $99 (three 30-day $33 copays) for covered brand-name drugs at a retail network pharmacy

How to switch to TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery

If you have refills remaining on your prescriptions, you can switch to home delivery to get a 90-day supply delivered right to your door. You can switch by phone, online and via the Express Scripts mobile app.

  • Military pharmacy: Ask your military pharmacist to transfer your prescription to home delivery.

  • Phone: Call 877-363-1303 and have your prescription bottle ready.

  • Mobile app: If you have an existing prescription at a retail or military pharmacy, you can transfer it to delivery using the Express Scripts mobile app.

  • Online: Visit the Express Scripts Home Delivery page.

  • e-Prescribe: Ask your doctor to submit your prescription electronically (e-Prescribe).

  • Mail: Download and fill out the Express Scripts Home Delivery Order Form and then mail the form and your 90-day prescription to the address listed on the form.

You are not eligible for home delivery if you have other health insurance with a pharmacy benefit, unless your prescription isn’t covered by your other plan, or you’ve reached the dollar limit of your other plan. Home delivery is not available in Germany.

Currently, there are no pharmacy supply chain issues or outages due to COVID-19. The Defense Logistics Agency is working with prime vendors to ensure military pharmacies receive their supply if shortages do occur.

Save yourself the trip and make sure you have the medications on hand that you need. Consider the convenience of home delivery.

If you are in the middle of a permanent change of station move, you may want to hand carry your medicines. If you’re moving outside the continental United States, there are several steps to consider, including contacting TRICARE to notify them of your move.

PCS: The Basics About Permanent Change of Station

Moving truck in front of house

A permanent change of station is part of military life. Experiencing different parts of the country and the world is a unique benefit of military service. In fact, travel and visiting new cultures may have been among the reasons you joined the military.

More than 400,000 service members PCS annually, so you can expect PCS orders to be part of your military career.

Received PCS orders?

Military OneSource moving experts can help you with moving tips, information about your new duty station and everything you need to master your PCS.

Overseas? OCONUS dialing options.

What your PCS orders include

Unlike temporary travel assignments, permanent change of station orders are a longer-term assignment, generally two to four years. Broadly speaking, your orders will tell you where you’ll be moving to – either CONUS or OCONUS.

  • CONUS: Moves inside the continental United States
  • OCONUS: Moves outside the continental U.S. These are typically overseas moves, but OCONUS moves also include Alaska, Hawaii and U.S. territories.

Your orders will also include:

  • Issue date
  • Issuer’s name
  • Order number
  • Authorized locations

If you are going to coordinate your move through the military, you will need to have this information handy.

Organizing your move

Moving is rarely simple, and in times of global uncertainty it is more important than ever to know the best ways to organize the logistics of your move and act fast once you get your orders. The Department of Defense provides a variety of resources to help make your PCS as easy and safe as possible:

  • Military OneSource is available 24/7 anywhere in the world with expert moving consultants and online tools and resources to help you get organized and settled. Call anytime to speak with a consultant, or set up an online chat. Learn more about how our experts can help you master your move with this information about moving in the military.
  • is the official Department of Defense customer moving portal. It provides comprehensive information about all aspects of moving, including entitlements, household goods, privately-owned vehicles, weight estimators, scheduling your move and much more. If you want to coordinate your move through the DOD, register with as soon as you receive your PCS orders. After you have registered your move, contact your local Household Goods/Transportation Office for further information. They can help you with questions about entitlements, scheduling and more.
  • Plan My Move is an online tool that helps you create custom checklists, access information about entitlements, benefits, points of contact at your new installation and more. Answer a couple of questions and you’re on your way to organizing your move.

Relocation assistance and resources

There are a variety of resources both online and through your installation to help you transition before, during and after your move:

  • Your installation’s Relocation Assistance Program is a great source of information and support for moving and getting settled at your new duty station. Relocation experts offer pre-departure briefings, newcomer orientations, and a wealth of information about job opportunities, child care and more. Find out how to put the military’s relocation assistance program to work for you.
  • The MilitaryINSTALLATIONS website provides comprehensive information about each military installation and the surrounding community. Search for programs and services, access information on temporary housing, check-in procedures, schools and more.
  • The military sponsorship program helps service members and families settle in after a PCS. This program is available to all service members and families no matter where you are moving to. Your unit will assign a service member of similar rank and family make-up to help you learn the ropes at your new duty station. Learn more about how sponsorship can help you settle into your new home.
  • And check out the Blog Brigade website to see what other service members have to say about moving.

Personally procured moves for do-it-yourself movers

If you prefer to organize your move yourself, you may be able to choose a personally procured move. You are eligible for a PPM when you have PCS orders, a temporary duty assignment, or face separation, retirement or assignment to, from or between government quarters.

During a PPM move, you coordinate the move of your household goods yourself without using any military moving services. This means that you are responsible for all the planning and communications that a military-coordinated move usually handles. Doing it all yourself can mean added stress and possible problems.

But military moves don’t have to be exclusively one or the other. You can use some military moving services and manage other parts of the move yourself. For more information, contact your installation Household Goods/Transportation Office or ask a Military OneSource moving expert.

Whether this is your first PCS or you’re a seasoned professional, let Military OneSource help you master your move so you can get on with your mission.

Explore Your Base and Beyond with MilitaryINSTALLATIONS

The Annual Air Force Installation and Mission Support Industry Day held at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas.

You have a permanent change of station coming up or you’ve just arrived at your new duty station. You may want to learn about activities on your installation and schools in the community. You may be looking for check-in procedures, child care, a veterinarian or other useful information. MilitaryINSTALLATIONS is the place to get answers.

MilitaryINSTALLATIONS is an online information directory for military installations worldwide. The website provides contact information for many of your installation’s programs, services and more. You can search for information by installation, program or service, or by state. Check out MilitaryINSTALLATIONS prior to your move for key information about the installation programs, services and resources that are available to assist you in your move and in your new community.

How to use MilitaryINSTALLATIONS

MilitaryINSTALLATIONS has three main categories – military installations, state resources, and programs and services – so it’s easy to search for what you need to know.

Military installations

Select “Military installation” from the drop-down menu on the homepage. Type in the name of an installation or click “View all installations” below the menu for a complete list. Each installation’s page offers a wide selection of contacts, programs and:

  • An overview of the installation’s mission and resources. For a deeper dive, click “View the in-depth overview.”
  • An installation website, photos and a map showing the installation and surrounding community.
  • A customizable installation directory. Create and download your own booklet of key resources and contacts for easy reference.
  • Local community information. This link takes you to the “Neighborhood Navigator,” where you can build detailed reports on community information, school information, nearby establishments and home values for 30,000 communities nationwide.

State resources

Select “State resources” from the homepage drop-down menu. Type in a state name or click “View All State Resources” below the menu to find the state you want. In this section, you’ll discover:

  • A list of state and federal resources for military members.
  • Links to community and military resources, such as chambers of commerce and military family programs.
  • Local community information. This link takes you to the “Neighborhood Navigator,” where you can build detailed reports on community information, school information, nearby establishments and home values for 30,000 communities nationwide.

Programs and services

Select “Program or service” from the homepage drop-down menu to find contact information for programs and services on an installation. Follow these steps to do a search:

  • Type in the name of a program/service you’re looking for or click the small grid to the right of the search bar for an alphabetical list.
  • Pick a program category, such as Adult Education Centers or Veterinary Services.
  • Select an installation or ZIP code, then click search. The search will pull up all local contact information in your area, both on- and off-installation.

Programs and services vary by location, but here are some you can look for:

  • Exceptional Family Member Program, or EFMP, Enrollment or Family Support
  • Family Advocacy Program
  • Legal Services/JAG
  • Morale, Welfare and Recreation, or MWR
  • School Liaison Office/Community Schools

Other Moving Resources

Looking for help with your next PCS move? Plan My Move and help you get organized and figure out next steps.

Go to for additional moving resources.

Find what you need? Now plan your next move.

From the MilitaryINSTALLATIONS homepage, you can also access Plan My Move, an online tool that helps you create a custom checklist for your move. It features information about the tasks you need to complete and how to get them done. Your checklist tailors to the unique needs of you and your family.

If you have any questions about using MilitaryINSTALLATIONS or any other part of your MilLife, contact Military OneSource directly to find the military and government resources you need.